Can I call a spade a spade if it looks, sounds, and walks like a duck?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by garrettmarvel, Jul 28, 2009.

1. glorybe

glorybe Piano User

Jul 29, 2009
    My first instrument is trombone. I do know the feeling of this transposing mess. It is very similar to reading old music for trombone and suddenly tenor clef is in your face or even alto clef if your knowledge is being tested in an academic environment. It is all easy if you do it daily. But when this stuff comes at you only once in a rare while it can be embarrassing to say the least.
    On one occasion I can recall some prankster switching a sheet of music and I was playing counter melody in a quartet. As awful as it went never mattered. The audience knew nothing but I felt awful.

2. equivariant

equivariant New Friend

May 25, 2009
    Actually the thing that bugs me as a beginning sight reader is the natural symbol. As far as I can see, it is illogical and it certainly makes transposing on the fly more difficult. As long as there are no naturals, transposing seems fairly logical. E.G. if you want to play a piece written in concert on a Bb instrument, just add two sharps to the key signature and move all the notes up one notch on the staff. But when there are natural symbols, I get all messed up (if I have to sight read it).

Can anyone explain the logical need for natural symbols? Why don't we just stick with the sharp and flat symbols (and make their effect cumulative within a bar)?