Can I Carry On With This Sound?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by lakerjazz, Aug 31, 2009.

1. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    Hypothetically speaking, if other aspects of my playing reach a professional level, will this sound be able to match?

If not, is it possible to change how I sound?

Here is the video: YouTube - I Remember Clifford

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  2. Rctrumpet1993@aol.com

[email protected] New Friend

Aug 12, 2009
    Hudson fl
    I'm no where close to pro, but it sounds great to me. Articulation could use just a little work, but not bad. How long have you been playing?

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The better you get, the more you sound like you. Nobody needs a second Clifford Brown, Jennifer Aniston or ROWUK. The world is much better of with more originals.

That does not mean that you should not soak up the essence of his playing. There is tons of good stuff for the taking.

4. lakerjazz

Oct 10, 2006
    6 years

5. Rctrumpet1993@aol.com

Aug 12, 2009
    Hudson fl
    You sound good, I ditto rowuk, your tone is like your voice, why'ed anyone want to talk like someone else?

6. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Rowuk says "The better you get, the more you will sound like you".
    That's how it works for me and it took me a long time to get there. I tried to sound like a lot of different people but at this stage in my life. I sound like me and its great to have my own voice.
    I think it was Miles Davis that said "It takes a long time to sound like yourself"

7. Rctrumpet1993@aol.com

Aug 12, 2009
    Hudson fl
    This is a really good thread!

8. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Try holding the notes a bit longer at the end of phrases, and tie together the sub-phrases as well.

Also, vibrato will help with the emotion of the tune. It is one of the greatest melodies in jazz.

There is also a part in the melody where you play a Bb instead of a B natural . It happens twice in your recording.

9. jazzcadenza

jazzcadenza New Friend

Apr 24, 2008
    JazzBurgh!Pittsburgh PA!
    ... sounds good for only six years.... keep going.... I never ever tried to sound like someone else.... but I've been able to play in the "style" of others..... just sing out.... always listen to your inner "singer", the sound you hear in your head when you are going over tunes without being in your music studio....

10. lakerjazz

Oct 10, 2006
    I wasn't trying to sound like someone else; I just played I Remember Clifford as a sample. Brekelefuw, yes I should have held out the notes longer; that's one of the first things that I noticed when I played back the recording. As for the vibrato, I'm working on it, but I'm having a tough time doing it consistently. I'm pretty sure that I played all the notes correctly, but the song is in a different key than usual, so if you caught those mistakes by ear, that might be why.

Thanks for all the feed back guys.