Can I sound like Miles on a strad?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by LLD, Nov 9, 2007.

1. LLD

LLD New Friend

Oct 18, 2007
    So, I'm listening to some recordings of Miles Davis (Winter in Europe 1967) and its a really great tone, obviously, and I read a lot about the person mattering more than the trumpet, tone-wise, and I'm still learning and practicing and focusing on tone, but am I really supposed to be able to sound like that?

Also, I read a comment talking about lightweight trumpets really peircing the ears in an orchestra, and I have to agree - between what I hear with fellow (granted, high school) trumpets with lightweights for marching (in the concert band) and orchestras, there's a huge difference I can't describe.

I play on a Strad 37 with a Bobby Shew Marcinkiewicz. It is sometimes too bright (the best I can describe it) even for me.

Eh, I'll go google for trumpet tone practice, or something now.

2. LLD

LLD New Friend

Oct 18, 2007
    OK. Really, that's good news. Means I won't have to worry about upgrading.

3. derekkress

derekkress Pianissimo User

Oct 8, 2007
    Montreal Qc Canada
    I played the same Strad for more than 28 years before my Celebration. I could sound like who I wanted. Miles , Freddie, Clifford, Maurice Andre, Wynton, Chet Baker etc... Conception of sound is in your head and when you think in tonal colors you can get a very personal sound having been influenced by your favourite player.Just listen one after another Clifford/Lee Morgan/Freddie Hubbard and then Woody Shaw. You will hear so many things in common even some of the same licks but in the end ├Żou still know who's who.Take your influences and then make it your own.Making music and being creative is what it is all about!

4. tatakata

tatakata Mezzo Forte User

May 29, 2007
    I think you got your head in the wrong place. Don't worry about upgrading or equipment. play what you got and listen to alot of miles if you want to sound like him!

5. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    What about the heroin?

6. Bill McCloskey

Bill McCloskey Piano User

Apr 22, 2007
    "What about the heroin?"

Only if you want pre-columbia Miles. If you want post columbia Miles you need to get addicted to coke.

7. Puffy A

Puffy A Pianissimo User

Jun 21, 2006
    Brooklyn
    Didn't he play on a Holton Heim mouthpiece for a long time? Those are pretty deep and cornet like. Miles is Miles and none of us will sound like him but that mouthpiece is pretty different than the Bobby Shew model. Once you get a sound concept solidified on your main horn, why not fiddle with equipment to help modify a sound to something else you may want for a particular setting or piece?

Arlo

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The question is a non-issue. If you have the talent, creativity and background, then you could in theory play like Miles, but you wouldn't want to, because that stuff has already been discovered. If you are missing any of the above, you will not be able to sound like Miles regardless of what you do!

9. derekkress

derekkress Pianissimo User

Oct 8, 2007
    Montreal Qc Canada
    I'm sure the reference to coke and heroin was just sarcasm. Drugs do nothing , they just sickin the soul! It is by searching deep within and being inspired by what surrounds us that helps us to be creative and sensitive.Music does make the world go around!