Can I start with a Bach 1 1/2C mouthpiece?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by oldsben, Oct 30, 2008.

Tags:
  1. oldsben

oldsben Pianissimo User

Oct 30, 2008
    California
    I'm new to trumpet. I'm also old to start learning trumpet, a middle age man ^_^.

I got myself a 1959 olds ambassador trumpet to start 2 weeks ago along with my daughter. I have an olds 3 to statrt. And it seemed the mouthpiece is small for me. My lips can't move freely. I'm learning it just for fun, so I'd like to get a bigger mouthpiece say Bach 1 1/2C. Will that be difficult for me to play?

2. oldsben

oldsben Pianissimo User

Oct 30, 2008
    California
    ?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  3. screamingmorris

screamingmorris Mezzo Forte User

Apr 4, 2007
    Most people don't like the Olds 3 mouthpiece, mostly because the cup is so shallow / small.

I don't know what kind of playing you plan on doing, but a beginner might be limited in the type of playing he will be doing anyway, so specialty mouthpieces would probably not be appropriate.

Bach 1-1/2 is a very large diameter, bigger than most beginners use, and you might have trouble at first playing higher notes, but it would give a really nice tone.
    The main thing is: If you try it and you like it, then it is the right mouthpiece for you.
    Later, as your embouchure (lip muscles and lip formation) develops and strengthens, you can always change to a different mouthpiece that better fits your maturing embouchure.
    But you might find that the Bach 1-1/2C is perfect for you the rest of your life.

So if you like the Bach 1-1/2C right now, then use it.

Or you could try the *very* popular Bach 3C that so many beginners use; because it is slightly smaller diameter and slightly shallower it might be easier for a beginner to use (that would probably be my personal preference if I were just starting out).

It's not like if you change your mind next year and change to a different mouthpiece that the Bach mouthpiece will sue you for alimony :D

- Morris

4. oldsben

oldsben Pianissimo User

Oct 30, 2008
    California
    Thanks Morris!

I will go to a local music shop and try 1 1/2C out. But for mouthpieces can I try several and then only buy one? If I can then will the shop clean the rest for other buyers? Seems there are health concerns raised for buying a mouthpiece ^_^.

I don't have any specific playing preference now. Just want to find a comfortable mouthpiece to get some fun out of trumpet playing.

- Ben

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  5. screamingmorris

screamingmorris Mezzo Forte User

Apr 4, 2007
    A music shop will let you try out all of their mouthpieces, then they use an alcohol wipe to clean the ones you don't buy.

I encourage you to try several sizes of mouthpiece, both different diameters and different cup depths.
    I also encourage you to try other brands they might have in stock, such as Schilke 15 or or Schilke 17 or whatever.

- Morris

6. oldsben

oldsben Pianissimo User

Oct 30, 2008
    California
    Thanks again!
    - Ben

7. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    3C is a good mpc. I would also try Bach 7C, 6C and 5C if they have them. Also Schike 14, 13C4, 12C4 and 11C4. Yamaha mpc #s are the same as Schilke. Curry mpc # are the same as bach. If they have them try Stork mpc # 5C, 4c and 3c. the advice from Morris is very good.

Bob G

8. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    learning to play with your daugther is such a great idea! What method book are you using? That Olds model is a great student horn. my first horn was a 1958 Olds Ambassador cornet. that was a good year for Olds. Have fun. feel free to post any questions.

Bob G

9. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Oldsben, I've been teaching trumpet for 30 years. If you like ,you can contact me with any questions or concerns.

Bob grier
    [email protected]

10. Zlatko

Zlatko New Friend

Apr 26, 2008
    Ajax, Ontario
    Oldsben, the trumpet is perfect for middle aged men. It's cheaper than a sports car and you can put your lips on it without losing your house! It seems you and I started at the same stage in life for the roughly the same reasons. By the way, trumpet is difficult. I wish someone had told me that before I started.

Sorry I cannot offer to much advice on the mouthpiece. I've been playing one year and I'm currently using the Yamaha equivalent of a 1 1/2 C because it came with the horn. I like it but I don't know if another size might be better for range or endurance. Some teachers have said it's too big for me. Don't wait too long (as I did) before getting professional help.