Can I start with a Bach 1 1/2C mouthpiece?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by oldsben, Oct 30, 2008.

Tags:
  1. oldsben

oldsben Pianissimo User

Oct 30, 2008
    California
    Thank you Bob and Zlatko for the advises and encouragements! :thumbsup:

I'd change my mouthpiece cause it doesn't feel right. My daughter's 7C is better.

The ultimate reason of learning the trumpet is to coach my daughter:D. My first impression is easy, only 3 fingers 8 combinations. But it turns out that I'm wrong. Now I'm still struggling to get steady and focused sound while my daughter have become the top 2 students (who got most of the color ribbons) in the school. Her Getzen 700s is more difficult to blow than olds. Now I have to confess that I'm behind her. If she can really do well then I'd consider getting her private lessons after one year.

2. oldsben

oldsben Pianissimo User

Oct 30, 2008
    California
    The method book is Essential Elements 2000. I don't think this is a good book. But my daughter is doing well with her school teacher's help.

I always go to a nearby music shop to look at their method books. I also watch video on youtube. It is fun to stitch things together but not quite efficient. Anyway I'm a debug/diagnosis engineer so this doesn't bother me too much.

3. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I just discovered you tube. It's great fun. I suggest a 4 part series by W. Marselis called Marselis on music. I have a copy and all my students are required to watch it. Also look for a book " The Art of Trumpet Playing" by Keith Johnson. This is a great book.
    as far as private lessons, why not take them with her? I would teach both of you at the same time.

How often do you play? A little every day? Developing the lip is key to trumpet playing and this is what your daugther is doing by playing in band every day. You can do the same. Look for some easy trumpet song books and just make music. your lips will get better. remember it's all about "chop" time.

Have Fun!!

Bob G

4. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Look for The "Fun with the trumpet Books" by Mel Bay. Lots of easy tunes.

Bob Grier

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Sorry,I keep thinking of advice to send. For youself get There are two books I use with my students. Breeze-easy method for trumpet I & II by John Kinyon. Start on the first lesson. set your metronome on 60. rest after each exercise. repeat as needed. the key is to play a littelr every day even if it's only for 15 minutes. Important!! Stop when your lips fell tired. the concept of no gain without pain does not work for the trumpet. Also try out bach 6C and 5c. I really like the Stork mpcs. try their 5C and 4C or a Schilke 11C4, 12C4, 13C4. If you can swing it get your daugther a Stork 5C. It's the same as her 7C but will sound better.

Bob G

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you are going at this by yourself, I would NOT try mouthpieces out right now. As with any new hobby, things change pretty dramatically in the first couple of months and what suits you now WILL change equally.

In spite of the fact that many trumpet players consider the mouthpiece to be the holy grail, most decent players can make do with anything around standard.

Most of my students start with a 7C or Yamaha/Klier equivalent. After a couple of months, we do a review and funny enough, seldom change anything (maybe to a different rim shape).

Of course the first couple of weeks on the horn are tough and of course on an internet forum you will get plenty of advice that has NO PROVEN BASE.

Stick with your 3C for a while, get your chops sorted out first and then get LOCAL, PROFESSIONAL ADVICE!

7. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Piano User

Nov 22, 2003
    Gainesville, Florida
    I teach Middle School Band (and a private trumpet studio as well)

The standard mp supplied with all new horns (or rentals) is still the Bach 7C (unless the parents know to ask for something different.)

I have had Middle School students struggle with the 7C as they did not have enough room for their lips to function properly. (Some do just fine however>)

Several years ago I let a student try a Bach 1 1/4 C I had laying around the band room.

Immediately his sound and range improved dramatically. His frustration levels diminished dramatically. Since then, I have kept a close eye on beginners for this situation and have larger mp's for them to try out.

Go ahead and get a 1 1/2 C. If it proves to be too large after a couple of weeks, try to exchange it for a 3c.

Good luck...

Bill Dishman
    Gainesville, Florida

8. oldsben

oldsben Pianissimo User

Oct 30, 2008
    California
    Thanks for all of the good advices!

Ben

9. oldsben

oldsben Pianissimo User

Oct 30, 2008
    California
    Finally I got a Bach 2C. It feels much better:D. Seems a right size now. I can blow notes much easier. Now I can concentrate on rhythm rather than struggling with breathing.

One thing I noticed that when I blow low notes my sound is easy to trembling. I tried same note on my daughter's Getzen 700s. My sound is not trembling and if I blow too slow the sound will just shut of instead of trembling. Anyone knows what can causes the trembling on my olds ambassador?

Thanks,
    Oldsben
    :play:

10. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    have you had the horn looked at by a band repair shop. there may be somthing in the horn blocking the air. My first guess is that one or both of your water key corks are leaking. I would like to send you my " how to take care of your trumpet" paper but I haven't figured out how to attach files to these replies. If you e-mail me directly I'll send it right away.
    [email protected]