Can Instrumental Music Inspire during Worship Services?

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by rdt1959, Aug 17, 2004.

1. rdt1959

rdt1959 Pianissimo User

Oct 31, 2003
    Georgia
    Given: The purpose of music in a worship service is to inspire the congregation and further their participation in the service.

In your opinions, can instrumental music inspire a congregation as well as vocal pieces? This is an especially relevant question if the piece to be played is not well know to the members of the congregation.

I am looking forward to hearing from all of you. :)

2. Annie

Annie Piano User

Nov 13, 2003
    I'm sure it can! ESPECIALLY with trumpets, the instrument used so many times in the Bible and in history.

3. Bourbon City

Bourbon City Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2004
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I'm sure it can also....

There are many pieces of religious music that most concregations have not heard. There are many unsung songs in Hymnals that congregations around this great world use every week. Exposing them to "new" music is a good thing, in my opinion. Play the unheard music and sing the unsung songs. Some people will listen and be affected and some is better than none.

I believe the trumpet IS an ideal instrument to blend its voice with other instruments or by itself. It can be sweat, gentle and forgiving OR rough, mighty and demanding. Ask what you want the trumpet to do for you and it will respond.

4. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    "Praise HIM with the sound of the trumpet!"

Psalm 51

Good enough for me

:-)

5. TrumpetBoredom

TrumpetBoredom New Friend

Aug 17, 2004
    I actually started playing trumpet because of a church service. 11 years later, I still play.

At the time I saw only 3 buttons and thought trumpet would be easy. Boy was I wrong!

Matt
    www.TrumpetBoredom.com

6. Japle

Japle Pianissimo User

Nov 15, 2003
    Cape Canaveral
    On the other hand, can the service inspire a trumpet player who's trying not to nod off up there in the loft?

7. sparxIII

sparxIII New Friend

Nov 1, 2003
    Toronto ON Canada
    Can Instrumental Music Inspire during Worship Serviecs

The Salvation Army has had instrumental music in it's services for the last 100 years.

My church uses about 30 brass players every Sunday. We provide instrumental accompaniment to most Hymns as well as special music before, after and during the service.

This music is rehearsed each week to insure that it enhances the worship experience and not detract from it.

Ted

8. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Inpsire? Yes, but most importantly give glory to God and praise him for the gifts he has bestowed upon each of us!

Personally, I believe music performed during sacred services should be testimonials to the Gospel and should not be played for entertainment. Music performed in a manner that distracts the congregation, hinders prayer or in any way is disrespectful of the presence of God is inappropriate.

Greg

9. ChasStarr

ChasStarr Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2004
    NE Louisiana
    I currently play in a church orchestra and praise band. We have 3 services every Sunday AM...2 contemporary and one "classic" with choir and orchestra.

Our minister of music is very sensitive to what gzent mentioned in his post.

We aren't entertainment, we are there to enhance the congregations worship experience.

When we do instrumental pieces w/o vocals he tries to insure that the underlying melody is something that the congregation is familiar with.

I also am part of a ministry with a fellow friend and trumpet player that travels to smaller churches who may not have any exposure to trumpets in their worship services. When we participate in these worship services, our instrumental pieces are purposely based on familiar hymns and praise songs. We feel that the worshippers can easier connect and worship without trying to figure out if it's something they know.

We're lucky in the fact that my buddy is very good at arranging these songs into very nice trumpet pieces.

Instrumental music lends itself to worship very well...if done with with the right frame of mind, heart, and with an eye on He who created us. The truth is, we're performing for Him anyway.

10. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Oh what a critical point. We are here to glorify God. Sometimes, some churches and some music ministers think entertainment is the way to go. Some big churches just want to get bigger so they rely on entertainment.

We are leaders of worship -- those of use called to use our musical gifts in worship. We need to take that responsibility in earnest. Then our musical offerings are a blessing to the congregation and glorify God.

Great point!

Jim