Can lip buzzing and mouthpiece buzzing become harmful if used to much?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mctrumpet, Apr 10, 2008.

1. mctrumpet

mctrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 5, 2008
    FL
    Can it be harmful to playing if over used??

2. bairdstudio

bairdstudio New Friend

Apr 10, 2008
    Over used, as in hours a day or an hour a day or what? Honestly, unless you're doing something to your embouchure I don't see it causing any harm. Though, you should be noticing that you're doing something wrong if you're buzzing a whole lot. However, it should not take place of quality time with the actual horn.

3. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    If Over used as in 5 hours a day, then yes you can. I'm not exactly sure why. I'm sure everyone else will respond with the actual reason, but yes, you will damage or at least some sort of bad change.

Only really use lip buzzing and mouthpiece buzzing from 5-10 minutes a day, and not every day.

4. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA

Baird studio? Hey, that's my last name! Tim Baird! Where ya from?

Tim

5. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    I can't imagine a rationale to explain why it would be dangerous.
    Maybe strenuous, maybe you won't be able to practice after you do this, for a while, but I can't see how the "strain" be permanent.

6. Schilke player

Schilke player New Friend

Mar 26, 2008
    Brentwood, TN
    Who has time to lip buzz or mouthpiece buzz without a trpt. for 5 hrs a day?
    If you can lip buzz note, scales etc. USING THE SAME EMBOUCHURE as when you play it will help you learn how to play with less pressure. Since you are not pressing anything down on your lips in the process there shouldnt be any problem. If you are doing this also to avoid disturbing someone it would be better to get a good practice mute and use your trumpet for more of your time.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    This is actually a non question as ANYTHING excessive is bad! We all know that.

The problem with playing trumpet is that we have too many "experts" that tell you what they have read or been told (but never really implemented successfully!). The recent threads on buzzing show a lot of second hand, never accomplished anything significant takes on this!

My take is that if you get a good teacher early, you get a balanced diet of useful stuff for a DAILY ROUTINE. That routine will only need minor tweaking from time to time. There should be some buzzing in that routine. Buzzing does not "fix" a broken embouchure, strengthen a weak embouchure or develop better listening habits. Buzzing in the context of a solid routine will help to get the "juices" going, draw attention to specific aspects of playing and help us to visualize concepts vital to better playing.

More than 10 minutes of buzzing I consider to be a waste of time and therefore keeping the player away from music, the very reason that we even play!

8. Schilke player

Schilke player New Friend

Mar 26, 2008
    Brentwood, TN
    Hello. I agree with most of what you said. I still feel if you can lip buzz some it will help with decreasing pressure.
    Most of the buzzing I do is either in my car or while taking a walk & only a little bit at a time. I have done it in the house before but my wife kept wondering who was making that strange sound so dont do in the house much anymore.

9. mctrumpet

mctrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 5, 2008
    FL
    ok thats what I was thinking too. Thanks for the info

10. brassandzin

brassandzin New Friend

May 5, 2006
    San Francisco
    Valid points all... however.... buzzing with or without a mouthpiece CAN help you focus in on the actual pitch center. Using your valves gets you into the general ballpark, but if you can hear the actual pitch center in your head BEFORE you use your horn, then you'll be more accurate and in tune than anyone!

The risk comes from over-blowing. The mouthpiece is not as loud as your trumpet, and may cause you to play too loud when your buzzing, and then you could bruise your chops. So follow rowuk's advice on keeping it to a minimum.
    Use buzzing when you find you're having trouble with intonation or having trouble nailing certain notes (upper register maybe?). But buzzing is not an end in itself, use it in conjunction with the passages you're having trouble with. Play through the passage...slowly and down an octave if it's in the upper register. Then buzz the same passage on your mouthpiece, playing very slowly in order to just focus on the pitches. Then play with the horn again and repeat until up to tempo.