Can lip buzzing and mouthpiece buzzing become harmful if used to much?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mctrumpet, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Phillydawg

Phillydawg New Friend

Jul 14, 2009
    SoCal
    Yep...certainly I can see "some" buzzing for little kids and maybe if someone is having a hard time getting their mouthpiece placed or other problems. Even flapping and buzzing lips is ok, but as a former mouthpiece buzzer myself(at least 3 years) it hampered my range and agility when it came time to play the horn. Again because of the difference in resistance/air column the mouthpiece has vs it being in the horn. Also couple THAT with an 11 year Stamp teacher who had me playing loud low notes and soft/puny high notes, totally opposite the way a horn is supposed to work. IE, take the Irons book p.10 group 11 and blast the bottom loud and decresendo towards the top. Does great for spreading your chops apart.

And sure....it's totally more fun to play the trumpet than the mouthpiece, haha. :thumbsup::play:

2. skankin'dan

skankin'dan Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2007
    Winnipeg
    Think about running, or push-ups or whatever.

A moderate amount is healthy and beneficial, but running 100 miles or doing 4000 push ups will likely cause your tendons to snap. The moral of the story, don't over do it and its all g.

3. Phillydawg

Phillydawg New Friend

Jul 14, 2009
    SoCal
    Running or push ups have nothing to do with this. Nor is it like the old Roman soldiers using a heavier weight sword in training in order to have more power on the regular one, or even a baseball batter using a weighted donut on his bat before coming to the plate. Trumpet players buzzing on a false air column(mouthpiece alone) makes about as much sense as warming up on a tuba(or tuba mouthpiece) to play trumpet. To me, even if it has any chance of being harmful then why the heck do it?? Sure, ANYTHING can be overdone.... even playing trumpet, but at least if I overdo playing the horn I'm still in check tongue/air coordination wise. A day of rest and a few days of easier playing or pedal tones usually gets the kinks out,etc. I've been on both sides of the fence. Nothing beats consistancy and that includes warming up on the same air column you're going to play on.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  4. Le chico

Le chico New Friend

Mar 17, 2008
    thank you

5. tpsiebs

tpsiebs Piano User

Feb 6, 2010
    Randolph, New Jersey
    Buzzing is a means to an end and not and end in and of itself. It can and should be used to help you learn how to control the tissues that enable you to produce a good sound efficiently. Buzzing is both a preparatory exercise and therapeutic.

I never took an audition or played a gig where they asked me to buzz.

However, I am a total believer and am of the mind that balance and moderation are the key.

6. Phillydawg

Phillydawg New Friend

Jul 14, 2009
    SoCal
    I produce a great focused sound and a more consistent one by "buzzing" with the mouthpiece in the horn and on its' pipe/valve combos. I don't need to buzz on a false air column/resistance to warm up. Claude Gordon, Louis Maggio were correct on this IMHO. After 42+ years I no longer need to learn to set my embouchure or learn to buzz with the mouthpiece. Did that when I was 9. :play::-)

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I buzz in car for my 20 minute car ride to work and back. I use a towel for resistance (and make sure I do not over blow). This has really increased my stamina to play gigs longer without fatiguing. So from my experience, buzzing 20-40 minutes a day with resistance has only been a positive experience for me.

8. melodictrumpet

melodictrumpet New Friend

Nov 23, 2010
    Planet Earth
    Mouthpiece buzzing for 10 or so minutes a day can be very helpful for pitch identification and without the horn to make you sound better gives you an idea of how much of your air is actually going toward producing tone (when you buzz on your piece do you hear more buzz or moving air)? However I believe that free lip buzzing is of no help at all as the way one lip buzzes is completely different than how one buzzes into the mouthpiece (try mouthpiece buzzing then without changing anything at all remove the mouthpiece from your lips, you won't hear or feel any buzzing of your lips- proof that that lip buzzing is completely different than real playing). The best thing to do is play the horn though and anything much more than 10 minutes of mouthpiece buzzing is just wasted time.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Mouthpiece buzzing is the same as playing your trumpet w/o the trumpet. It's good for those times you can't play your horn (like driving down the interstate at 70+ mph)! This is a fairly old post but I will add, if I had 5 hours a day to mouthpiece buzz, why wouldn't I just attach my trumpet?:-o:-o

10. Phillydawg

Phillydawg New Friend

Jul 14, 2009
    SoCal
    Wow....."pitch recognition"??? Really??? The thing is that on the mouthpiece alone its' pitch center is different than when in the horn. THAT very difference also throws things off. Mouthpiece buzzing is also not condusive to real playing because the airstream is different. You pretty much develop two embouchures, one with the piece and one with the piece in the horn. Go ahead and play a note on your horn, G, C, whatever, now gently pull the horn/receiver away from the mouthpiece and you'll notice you're lips in the mouthpiece are no longer buzzing. Also do this in reverse, just blow air through the mouthpiece (with lips together of course but just air) then bring the horn up and you'll notice a note comes in. Charlie Davis showed us this demo. So therefore as I've mentioned in earlier posts that mouthpiece buzzing does no good because it's a different air column than when it's in the horn. Free lip buzzing and flapping altho still not totally condusive to playing can loosen stuff up and get the blood flowing before you warm up on the horn, especially after a hard night or multiple days off. It's not a total warm up or anything and I think is less harmful than with the mouthpiece because free lip flapping and buzzing you're not establishing any tight air column. Once you add the mouthpiece you're now dealing with a small part of the venturi that needs the rest of the leadpipe at least to replicate better playing the horn to warm up. Solution is warm up nicely on the horn in 1/2 steps like I've mentioned. CG was no idiot believe me.

BTW..... that air vs buzz you're talking about on a mouthpiece more likely has to do with someone who's missed practice possibly several days in a row and now has stiff chops. I can assure you if I buzz a mouthpiece and take it away my chops will still be buzzing.