Can mellophone be used as a lead instrument?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by chet fan, May 12, 2010.

1. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    that worries me most of all

anyway thank all of you for your responses!

2. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    HAHA! YES! I love screamer Mellos! Adds joy to my heart (Along with screamer trumpets) I have played alittle of it during water breaks (stole em from the frenchys :evil:) Fingerings are the same because they are in Bb, same fingerings as a trumpet. For me personally I can play higher on it a whole lot easier than a trumpet. Word of warning, you do get the accursed french horn cracks. But from when I have played it the best analogy of mpcs I can make is that a trumpet mouthpiece is like a cake cone, and a frenchy mpc is like a regular ice cream cone all conical and what not. It is similar in lipping and all to me, however its just hard to not frac when your playing it. If I had to switch to another horn during season it'd definately be a french horn.

3. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
  4. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
  5. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    ...double post sorry

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Not one valid reason not to put a mellophone in lead. I've a Yamaha matching model in F trumpet configuration and have done it often. I've even set it up with a Bb trumpet duet, the trumpet playing harmony. It's a peculiar sound that makes others wonder. Tony Scodwell was one of Stan Kenton's mellophone players. Those Conns were a monster in appearance and control of tone I'm told. Often reminds me of playing an ocarina. Actually, an Eb in the reverse French horn configuration was the first brass horn I tooted on, a school owned instrument, that my oldest brother then played from beginning throughout HS band. Exclusively, minus trumpet, I've played Stephen Foster's Oh, Boys! Carry Me 'Long with the mellophone in lead to audience accolades at a CW re-enactor's formal dinner.

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  7. a marching trumpet

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Wow..... :-? on those videos... "Hey guys! Lets blair as loud as possible, completely ignoring tone, and attempt at high notes, but my tone is ######, so lets do it anyways." God awful, good lord...

BEAST:
    YouTube - Cavaliers 2008 Matrix Mellophone

Anyways if you ever watch DCI the mello lines are so much better..... geez..... I hope it's just the camera doing injustice all over again. The Camera never does justice to brass players.....

8. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    have you actually watched the video completely or just first few seconds, because I do not understand how can you underestimate mello player so much

9. a marching trumpet

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I watched it, and all he did was blair, yes he had a few good aspects, but it's all very uncontrolled to me. It's kinda like I can Wail all I want and hit a Double F, but I have no controled range up to it a Pianissamo as I do an Eb right below it. It's one thing to be able to play it, but its another to have it controlled. I know if one of our marching members did that our director would be all over him like black on an ape. I mean he can get LOUD, but it sounds like an uncontrolled loud to me, kinda like the range thing above, I can get it, but i'm melting lead to get it, and I need to have more control over it for it to sound better rather than having to wail to get it. (just sayin)

10. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    Sorry, guys!

I'm with Marching Trumpet on this one... Ghastly sound. Blastissimo all the way. Maybe that's appropriate for sporting events, when it's simply another noise maker, but music it ain't, for my taste.

Chac'un au son gout applies here.

Guy