Can playing harmonica affect trumpet playing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by sunnydaze, Apr 11, 2009.

1. sunnydaze

sunnydaze New Friend

Apr 11, 2009
    Ancaster, Ontario
    Hey everyone,

I'm new to this forum so I'd just like to say hey!

I was wondering... Can playing harmonica affect your embouchure, either in a negative or positive way? Could playing the harmonica be used as a way to develop muscle strength or is it best just to steer clear of the thing altogether?

Bests,
    sunnydaze

2. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    Feel free to play harmonica if you want but my advice is to steer clear! Good luck

3. bogart

bogart New Friend

Mar 22, 2009
    Port Huron, Mich
    ive been playing harmonica longer then the trumpet, 40 years, an never had a problem playing both, good luck

4. YamaMan

YamaMan Pianissimo User

Nov 29, 2008
    I play both, never had a problem.

5. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    The amount of time and intelligence it takes to be great on two dis-similar instruments is more than I have.
    A man's gotta know his limitations.
    However, you are not me. You might have what it takes to pull it off.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The problem is that with the harmonica, you have to suck half of the time. If that becomes a habit, you'll never be the same.

I have this harmonica: [​IMG]

Robin's rule for "additional" instruments: ADDITIONAL practice time! Other instruments only hurt your playing when the trumpet does not get enough practice time. Saxophone is a better instrument for those without enough dedication.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Robin!!!! :-o Now you're going to have to dodge flying Mark VIs and Vandorens instead of those tomatoes! As if those guys aren't busy enough trying to fit as many notes into the space-time continuum as they possibly can, now they're comin' after you! Horrors!

v

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Guilty as charged! I stand by the premise that the easiest musical instrument is the CD Player followed by the recorder, then the saxophone. My second son prefers the Yanisagawa 901 and Rico Royal to the Mark IV and Vandorens though. He is a recording engineer and would not have been able to maintain the trumpet. The sax worked just fine though!

9. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    This doesn´t necessarily mean that your playing will . . .:cool:

10. razmabaz

razmabaz New Friend

Mar 19, 2009
    Cambridgeshire UK
    Well, I've tried and tried but I just couldn't find anywhere to put the mouthpiece ROFL