can someone explain these trumpet attributes?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by LLD, Jan 2, 2008.

1. LLD

LLD New Friend

Oct 18, 2007
    Hi, I'm a high school senior playing lead trumpet for 6 years now, and I'm wanting to get to know the instrument a little better.

I have a strad 37 and a bach student cornet, and obviously there are some differences in these instruments, so I'm wondering if anyone with some knowledge of trumpet theory (is that what this qualifies as?) can explain what makes these horns different so I can use this knowledge when, for example, choosing what horn is right for a piece, or maybe purchasing a new horn.

(probably a big difference already is that I use a Marc. E14 on the strad and the G6 that came with the cornet.

-why is it easier to play a low G below the staff on the cornet? is this simply the depth of the MP?

-what makes a cornet's sound darker?

-a seem to 'miss' more notes on the strad, as in I blow a little air before I produce a sound. (this could be a attributed between switches between the mouthpieces)

There are others but I can't seem to put them into words.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    LLD,
    The cornet sounds darker because it has a more conical bore shape. The trumpet is more cylindrical in nature and therefore sounds more "brilliant".

I can't say for sure why the low G is easier. It could be the horn, mouthpiece, you or a bit of all three. I have trumpets that have very easy low ranges that match my cornets so your case does not have to be representative.

Missing notes can have many reasons. In my teaching, I always start with an analysis of breathing habits. Breathing is the basis for all wind instrument playing. Once the breathing is full and relaxed, we can look for other sources of tension or even concentration killers........