Can someone help me make a decision on which of these trumpets to get?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 1stTrumpet, May 23, 2010.

1. 1stTrumpet

1stTrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2009
    Taylor Chicago X-Lite
    Bach Model 18037 Stradivarius
    Yamaha Xeno YTR-8335

Which one of those would you guys recommend?
    I'm in high school so I'm probably gonna have it until I graduate or until I buy a new one in college.

2. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    For me, it looks that you have put the
    horns in a perfect order/ranking :cool:

3. erd402

erd402 Pianissimo User

Mar 21, 2009
    West Virginia
    Is there a reason why you have it narrowed down to these three? Are you looking for suggestions, or have you tried these and need help choosing? Lastly, are buying used or new?

4. NYCO10

NYCO10 Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2010
    United Kingdom
    It sounds to me like 'the right tool for the right job' kind of answer, it all depends on what you are using it for. If nothing in particular (all styles) i would recommend the Strad... but i am biased!

Peace NYCO10

5. 1stTrumpet

1stTrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2009
    I heard that all 3 were good horns, and I love the color scheme, especially the Yamaha.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You need all three. You also need a Schilke, a custom NYTC, a Benge and for those really FAT sounding gigs, a Monette.

If you have played them all, then the answer should be clear based on your experience. If you haven't then you have some homework to do.

The only brands of horn that I will buy blind are Getzen and Yamaha. All the other brands have horns out there that I have played but would never want to own.

7. erd402

erd402 Pianissimo User

Mar 21, 2009
    West Virginia
    If a Taylor X-Lite is a possibility, which is a little under $4000 if I remember right, I'm taking for granted price is not an issue, or at least much of an issue. So that price narrows it down to... just about anything except maybe a Monette. I'm also taking for granted you don't want crap trumpets so we'll go ahead and take cheap imports off the list.That narrows us down further to... still a very large selection. The problem is once you get down to the quality trumpets you'll find good reviews for all of them. Will you like them all just because other people like them? Probably not. Positive reviews are a good starting place, but that's all they are. I'd go into several music stores and just try everything they have. You might have to drive a while to find any stores with an actual selection (I'm driving 2 hours this summer to Columbus to go to some music stores), but in the end it would probably be worth it.Try everything and decide for yourself whether they play well for you and whether they'd be worth the $2000-4000. You'll find people on here who'll tell you that each of those trumpets on your list are the best, but that is only their personal opinions.

8. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    HI, 1st!

I think your best bet would be the Bach Strad, even though I'm not a real Bach fan. WHY do I recommend this? Because there are SO many of them out there, that you should be able to find many used horns in your area to try before you buy. Yamahas are also common, but I think I've seen more Bach Strads in consignment shops than any other brands.

Try horns and pick one that works for you. When I was your age or younger, my parents said they'd buy me a "professional" trumpet and we went to several stores in the Chicago area where I lived, and tried Bachs, Getzens, and a few others. After several weeks of trying horns, I chose the Getzen Eterna Severinsen model that I used for many years after that.

A used horn would be cheaper, too, and put less of a financial burden on you or your parents. Maybe it would leave some money for the later purchase of a C trumpet or a flugelhorn or a picc, depending on which way you want to go.

Just a thought!

Guy

9. Outkastah

Outkastah Pianissimo User

Aug 29, 2009
    Boston

"a Monette."

The only thing I have to say to that is... Yes.

Also I would say the Taylor or the Yamaha... I never was a big Bach fan.

10. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    I think you are looking at horns from too a short horizon. You will have it until you graduate or sometime in college? I had mine from 9th grade until -well, I still have it. And it was my primary horn for 40 years, -which included a fairly heavy playing schedule through HS, college, grad school, and several years thereafter.

Horns are not like digital watches from Wal Mart. Typically, you don't get a new one when it is time to replace the battery. I think you will find that many of the top pros over the last 50 years got a horn and hung on to it.

Pick a good one and it will be like a wife. Sure, the newest, latest, busty model will come along every year, but you'll appreciate what you have. In fact, you'll likely say there is no comparison.

I second ClarkGuys comments. By the way, looks, color, etc., should always be secondary in your decision to playability.

If you want to consider outside the list you have provided, I would take a look at Kanstul. Do a web seach on Ziggy Kanstul and learn how he has influenced some of the best playable horns ever built (Olds, Benge). He now makes a line of horns that includes what many would call clones or copies of some of these historic fabulous horns -with improvements. Even his Bach Strad clone plays better than many Bachs -in my opinion. Try visiting a store that carries Kanstul and give every one there a try.

Best of luck.