Can someone help me make a decision on which of these trumpets to get?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 1stTrumpet, May 23, 2010.

1. 1stTrumpet

1stTrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2009
    Oh lord I didn't even see how much the monette costed, can we take that out.

But uh what I'm gonna be using it for is just Jazz Band and Concert Band. Mostly Jazz Band.

2. Joe

Joe Pianissimo User

Jan 25, 2010
    Ireland
    Yamaha trumpets are very reliable but go for the horn that suits you best

3. hup_d_dup

hup_d_dup Piano User

May 28, 2009
    Tewksbury, NJ, USA
    If you try out these three instruments you should have a much better answer than whatever anyone here says.

In fact, if you try out 3 "identical" Strads you will prefer one over the other two.

IMHO, the only person you should allow to steer you towards or away from an instrument is a teacher you trust who knows how you play.

4. ca5tr0

ca5tr0 New Friend

Feb 28, 2010
    Florida
    Try SChilke. I know Arturo Sandoval used schilke for ever for his jazz gigs with Dizzy.

5. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    When I look for another trumpet, I always look for the one that has the most right notes in it. In other words, the one that fits you best.
    Rich T.

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I know a lot of pro-level players who have a single Bb and use it for everything. Their contention is that you should be able to color you sound to fit everything by using your chops and/or the right mouthpiece.

Then again, I also know some guys who like to have different horns for different playing tasks.

I fall somewhere in the middle - I only have one Bb trumpet that I play for everything (I actually own another one, but I don't use it) but I've never felt it was a great horn for trumpet section playing.

Getting back to the subject of the thread, I'd buy the Taylor.

7. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    I've played the Bach Strad for about 30 years, and about 3 years ago got the Yamaha Xeno 8335 RGS. I had some slotting problems with the Yamaha initially, but once I conquered that I quit like it over the Strad, although some would take issue with this. I'm looking at the Taylor's as I'm looking for a new horn.-:play:

8. LuckilyCarolyn

LuckilyCarolyn New Friend

May 4, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    Personally I love my Yamaha Xeno, but then I have friends who love their Bach's. My band director has a preference for Yamaha, because most of them play in a pretty similar fashion- so if he can push a Xeno on most of the kids in the band, in an ideal world he'd have a similar sounding section.
    Our band went on a trip this year, and we had our instruments drive down a week before we went, which meant i ended up using a very nice Bach Strad. But at first, I couldn't stand it. I didn't have the same range, it felt weird to hit all the notes, you had to use it in a different fashion. But when the owner played his horn, it sounded great. He had no problem. But even now, I don't think I could get used to a Bach Strad easily.

What everyone's saying about trying out horns first is legit. I was in 7th grade when I got my Xeno, and I never tried out anything except a student Yamaha. And thankfully, it's suited me well. But some people are Bach people, some are Yamaha, and I've never tried a Taylor but I'd assume it's the same thing. Try out your horn before you buy it. Especially Bach's. I've played a few now, and every single one of them feels entirely different. Just do yourself a favor and find out what YOUR deal is.

9. trumpet addict

trumpet addict New Friend

May 29, 2010
    I'd go with the Bach strad. If you can though, get a schilke.
    I've heard that after a few years, the yamaha's don't play as well, but that's just what I've heard. If the horn sounds good, get it.

10. dsr0057

dsr0057 Pianissimo User

Dec 20, 2009
    Denton, TX
    I loved Rowuk's post funny as it is true.

As everyone is saying it's really personal taste. I play a YTR6310z and after playing numerous horns I still come back to "the boss".

Whatever you do, do not just order a horn and hope everything works out; play a large selection of each horn and find the horn that compliments you. And as Dan said it will become your wife, you will play other horns and think they might be better but in the end the old battle axe will still be with you and still be consistent.

Out of those i recommend the Yamaha and the Taylor.