Can someone help me make a decision on which of these trumpets to get?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 1stTrumpet, May 23, 2010.

1. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    If you want to consider outside the list you have provided, I would take a look at Kanstul. Do a web seach on Ziggy Kanstul and learn how he has influenced some of the best playable horns ever built (Olds, Benge). He now makes a line of horns that includes what many would call clones or copies of some of these historic fabulous horns -with improvements. Even his Bach Strad clone plays better than many Bachs -in my opinion. Try visiting a store that carries Kanstul and give every one there a try.

This is my recommendation as well (Kanstul). Try calling up Jack Kanstul
    KANSTUL MUSIC : The instrument you trust from the name you trust.
    Awsome customer service and tons of experience with horns. I am more than positive he can point you in the direction you want to go.

Good luck.

2. Mark Bradley

Mark Bradley Pianissimo User

Jan 16, 2007
    Kansas City
    Lots of great trumpet out there, it's a buyers market right now (assuming you've got the cash). I'm playing the matching NYTC Broadway trumpet and flugel that pretty much uses Taylor components. For now the price is definitely right on these models. Very nice instruments!

Brooklyn

3. PakWaan

PakWaan Piano User

Apr 4, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    I bought a Taylor last week to add to my collection. Haven't had time to write up a post about it yet, but it's possibly the finest horn I have ever played, and the German Bauerfeind valves are outstanding - only Getzen valves are in the same league. If price isn't an issue, I'd keep the Taylor at the top of your list.

With that said - if this is going to be your only or primary horn - I can't see buying it without playing it first!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  4. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Watch out - he's unstoppable!!!:cool:

5. PakWaan

PakWaan Piano User

Apr 4, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    No, this is the LAST horn I'm buying!

:evil: (I think....)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  6. walldaja

walldaja Pianissimo User

Feb 25, 2008
    Kokomo, IN
    Do you have an instructor who can go on a play-test with you? Or, maybe he / she has a preference based on working with you. It's really important to take the time to play each instrument in a controlled environment. Start with a careful warmup and then play an exact selection of music you normally play. Make sure you aren't getting overly tired and that fatigue becomes an issue in selecting any horn. You may also want to try the different bell flares Bach offers, while the 37 is most common, you may find you like the 43 or 72 better. The quicker you may the decision the more likely you are to be dissatisfied--besides, the hunt is more fun than the kill.

7. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington

There is nothing better than a Taylor. I never tried a Monette trumpet so I can't say anything about them. You can get a used Monette for 10 k.

8. 1stTrumpet

1stTrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2009
    The only horn that I've played on the list was the Yamaha because I saw it at a music store, and my brother (whos alot more experienced than me) said I sounded really good on it. I'm probably going to a few other music stores next week to try out the Taylor and the Strad.

9. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    im looking into getting a new trumpet soon, as my bach omege isnt really up for the job of uni playing! and the fact that everyone else has much better horns than me! im thinking smith-watkins! or taylor but something very good which is gonna last me my life!

your best bet is try them out and see how they sound, play and feel to you although it will probably grow on you whichever one you get

10. PakWaan

PakWaan Piano User

Apr 4, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Good luck finding a used Taylor in a music store, unless you are in NY, LA or another large market. The only "official" Taylor dealers selling new Taylor horns in the US are in Bloomington IN, Henderson NV, and Austin TX. You can find the list at Taylor Trumpets - Custom Made Brass Instruments