Can spending long hours sanding wood affect trumpet playing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Aside, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Aside

Aside New Friend

Nov 13, 2011
    I have been playing trumpet again for the last 4 years after having stopped for 25 years. All was going well; range coming back (consistent high Eb above the staff + good tone). After a one-month trip to Asia where I only brought the mouthpiece, it obviously was taking a while to get my chops back. But then, out of the blue, one day I could no longer play above F (on the staff) and my tone was ratty. The only thing that changed in my life at that point was that I had begun spending long weekend days sanding a wooden staircase in my house - about 6-8 hours two days a week.

Is it possible that this is affecting the elasticity of my lips? I figure if sawdust can affect the voice, then it could do the same thing for the lips...

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    You haven't been playing and that's the problem. I'm a landscaper and am around "nasty" stuff all the time. The only thing that affects my playing is my not playing. I would hope you are using some type of respirator/mask when sanding for that long a period. I seriously doubt sawdust can "hurt" you lips, but it can fill up your lungs and that ain't good. I do like your mpc in your pocket plan though. This does sound like a good reason to not do home improvement projects though! ;-)

3. BrassEye

BrassEye Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2011
    Sawdust is used to absorb moisture. Therefore, it stands to reason that if you're getting exposed to it you'll find that your skin dries out; this includes your lips. I suffer from dry cracked skin on my knuckles if I'm exposed to sawdust etc for extended periods without protection. Drink plenty of liquid, maybe try some Chop Saver or similar lip balms. Not playing won't have helped but if your lips feel dry that's probably half the battle.

I run long distance. If I've got my hydration out of whack on a run, I suffer a drop in range and endurance that night when I play. My lips feel dry and papery. How do your lips feel?

4. Aside

Aside New Friend

Nov 13, 2011
    No, I HAVE been playing. Every morning before work, every evening after work, after a long day of sanding. The weird loss of range and sound happened all at once, about the same time I started long sanding days.

And yes, I do use a mask, but I still find sawdust INSIDE the mask at the end of the day. No mask is 100% effective...

The reason I thought of the sawdust is because 1. of the timing that everything happened, and 2. because even the voice gets raspy after working with a lot of dust or chemical products...

Thanks for taking the time to reply

5. Aside

Aside New Friend

Nov 13, 2011
    Lips don't feel dry. They feel a bit "thicker" than usual, but not dry.

6. BrassEye

BrassEye Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2011
    Well, if the air is drier than usual (which I'd guess it will be) I think it could still be dehydration that's the culprit. Have you stopped sanding now? If not, try upping your fluid intake. I think I know what you mean by lips feeling "thicker" and that's another symptom of dehydration, in my experience.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Not to sound alarming, but you could be having a reaction to what is in the wood. Different woods have differing chemical makeups etc. . If your mask is one of those cheap nuisance masks, you have to change them frequently. You could try an MSA mask that makes you sound like Darth Vader when you breath. You can get different cartridges to screen out particulates and chemicals. Might be worth a shot.

8. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US

I thought you were a doctor??

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    "G" man is the doctor. I'm his landscaper straight man! ROFL

10. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    Have you looked at how you are practicing? To me, it sounds as though you are very determined to get in your two hours a day. I have no idea of your development level, but perhaps, at this point, two hours a day is too much? Or is it possible that you are not resting a minute in a practice session for every minute you play? As an aside, I am fighting a cancer battle right now, doing chemo every three weeks for 4.5 mos. My chops just went totally into the toilet. First, my range decreased by half, then my flexibility went out sthe window. It is impossible to play at my former level of proficiency. So, it is abundantly clear to me that physical conditions in one's body can have dramatic effects on one's ability.