Can spending long hours sanding wood affect trumpet playing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Aside, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Aside

Aside New Friend

Nov 13, 2011
    Well - I don't think it's the practicing, because I've been doing very well for the past 4 years with noticeable improvement year after year. This phenomenon happened bang just one day around the time I started spending long days sanding. That's why I'm figuring there is a link ; it's the only thing that has changed in my basic life.

I didn't mention that this has been all with an electric sander...

The worst of the sanding is done; what's left is detail sanding. I'm sure the playing will come back; the last two days have been better already. It's just that I have a gig in a month, so I'm just hoping it won't take too long to get it back.

I want to thank everyone on this feed for their input and for taking the time to respond.

2. Aside

Aside New Friend

Nov 13, 2011
    And in passing, it is not one of the cheap masks - it is a good one (yes, that kind of sounds like Darth Vader), but less than those hyper-professional ones that cost an arm and a leg...

3. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    What about your arms? When I do wood work of that nature sanding or rasping, my arms get a big work out, and some times they get numb and tired from repetitive motion or worse with a mechanical sander. Maybe you are pinching/to much not enough or something along those lines. Also just being plain tired doesn't help.

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I had a similiar problem with "angular chelitis" - persistent cold sores -- I could heal them up - and my lips felt a little "thicker" - swelled up a bit -- but the horn's range and tone went in the tidy bowl - so to speak. Ultimately, I had to resort to a vitamin regimen (B-complex) that helps with "angular chelitis" - and also found out that when your lips are subjected to dryness, or sores, or perhaps even allergies --- you can experience swelled lips, and that effects your play, and play effects your sound, and it all effects your endurance.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Glad to hear you're getting better. You definitely have a "get out of jail card" for future use. Honey, I can't sand the chairs, I gotta gig next month!:D

6. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Tobylou is not a doctor, he just plays one on TM...

You know Aside, the truth is that lips and lip muscles kinda have a life of their own. Once in a while, they go on strike on us, and there is no rime or reason to it. All we can do is get our breathing together, stick to the basics (like breathing) to produce the best sound possible, limit our expectation that particular day and continue practicing with an emphasis on the basics (did I mention breathing and air support?).
    It will get better, just keep breathing...

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Funny!! Maybe it's ALL the sound (get it ... sound) advise that when properly applied works? :roll::roll: I don't know how someone thought I was a doctor. It plainly says "landscaper" in my profile. Maybe "The doctor of dirt"! Lawn ....... is already taken. How about "Fertilizer Physician"? I'm open to suggestions (that can be posted in a forum ;-)).

8. entrancing1

entrancing1 Mezzo Piano User

Feb 16, 2010
    Buffalo, NY
    I was having a horrible intermittent problem with swelling with similar results of my playing going into the "tidy bowl" I finally linked the problem to using benadryl for sleep. As an antihistimine it drys out everything. My lips were so dry there was no lubrication and they swelled up horribly. Unfortunately I didn't put two and two together until after I really washed out in a recital. It was worse than when I first began playing.

9. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Fertilizer physician could be misunderstood. Some might ask you if you do in-vitro...

tobylou8 likes this.
  10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Don't do "in-vitro"!! Although, I do plant lots a seed!:roll: