Can spending long hours sanding wood affect trumpet playing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Aside, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    I guess I have to ask the obvious...are you sure you didn't put a valve in wrong or something got stuck in the bell etc.?

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    +1 on an MSA mask with double filter. Sanding to raw wood as removal of old finishes is very dangerous if not prior laboratory tested. One worse case scenario is lead poisoning. Too, in the removal of old plaster and lath many times you expose yourself to overdoses of arsenic poisoning. Many early vinyl / rubber type tiles and shingle sidings contain asbestos. I can't see any financial savings of DYI that later costs you in health care for you and your family. COPD isn't a fun scenario and without lung power your range and endurance will diminish. DYI is NOT a win win!

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The mouthpiece alone has NOTHING to do with playing the trumpet. It is not the same.

When playing the real thing, the initial buzz gets a resonant standing wave set up in the trumpet. That standing wave feeds our lips and controls vibration. When playing the mouthpiece alone, there is no standing wave. The lips work completely different.

Physical exertion changes the way that we breath. That is also a BIG factor when changing our daily workload!

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The doctor is in.

Inhaling saw dust could also trigger a vasomotor reflex that can influence obstructive lung disease. This is reversible and can be treated with anti-inflammatory inhaler medications.

Inhaling saw dust can lead to a rarer condition known as hypersensitivity pneumonitis. This, over time, leads to restrictive lung disease, with loss of lung elasticity. The higher range is dependent on appropriate breath support, which is added by this elasticity. If you are loosing support, there is a chance be it ever so remote, that the saw dust may initiating this reaction.

Sure, it may be a function of embouchure changes as well, but the lung is a vital organ. Being vital means you cannot live without it. The lungs rank right up there with the heart and brain for vital needs (OK, the brain might NOT be a vital organ for Kingtrumpet, but I digress). So because of this possibility of lung reactions, you really need to see your physician to address these possibilities. If you came to me with this complaint AND knowing of an occupational risk, I would order a pulmonary function test that will measure the capacities just as I described above. If this is negative, then we can concentrate more on advising as to effects you are experiencing on your embouchure.

And if you are Kingtrumpet reading this, my advice would be to adopt this philosophy: "Better to have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy".

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    does Gin and Tonic come as a premix??? -- somehow I thought the bottles contained each ingredient separately --
    kingtrumpet so humbly say -my philosophy is -- Doctors that play the trumpet without many patients, is the Doctor who has NO audience with patience to listen to him.
    oh grasshopper -- you do well!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

6. Pete Anderson

Pete Anderson Pianissimo User

Feb 27, 2008
    Most likely, imo, it has nothing to do with your lips, and everything to do with your core muscles (abs, back, etc). As the cliche goes, "all the lips do is vibrate" - your air is doing most of the work. After spending 8 hours on your feet, hunched over, doing whatever physical activity you do with the sander, your whole body is going to be tired. Your lips will be good to go, but if you can't generate the necessary air pressure, range is going to be a huge struggle. Your lips will try to compensate for the lack of air support by tightening up, which will cause your sound to go down the toilet because they aren't vibrating the way they need to.

We love to obsess about lips, and lips are very important, but doing physical labor all day and then trying to play trumpet will really highlight how important the rest of the body is. I used to work as a cashier at a store, and I would always have to practice before my shifts. It's not particularly strenuous to stand around for 8 hours, but simply being on my feet that much tired out my core muscles so much that I couldn't play worth a damn afterwards.

Being stuck on just a mouthpiece for a month probably didn't help either... Next time bring a hosaphone. The extra tubing does a much better job of imitating the feel of a trumpet than a mouthpiece on its own. I cut mine down so the length of the tubing is the same as on a trumpet. You can't play as many notes (it's basically a bugle), but it's lighter, takes up less space, and feels pretty much just like a real trumpet. If you leave the tubing long like in the video it's more like a french horn with the partials really close together. You kind of start to get in the habit of overblowing and when you go back to the shorter tubing of a trumpet it's a bit of a shock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qkh9vUlMIs&feature=related

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  7. Hey_Pauly

Hey_Pauly New Friend

Dec 17, 2010
    That guy was awesome on the hosaphone!