Can this trumpet be salvaged?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mrsbuzzy, Sep 19, 2010.

1. mrsbuzzy

mrsbuzzy New Friend

Sep 19, 2010
    Hello. My son was given a trumpet, it's been used twice (I believe) but hasn't been used in probably 5-10 years. I have absolutely no idea what kind of trumpet it is, I suspect just a generic school trumpet.

My son is 11 and has asperger's syndrome with auditory sensitivity. He wants to join band and we want to give him the opportunity to try. A friend mailed me her son's old trumpet but I'm not sure what to think. It smells pretty bad, and has a lot of small spots and some medium spots of damage. It had cork pads, and a brass finish. It doesn't look laquered, but I'm not sure.

Unfortunately we just got this in the mail and he starts band in 2 days. Any advice?

Also, I have had people tell me NOT to reuse the mouthpiece and other telling me it is fine so long as we clean it properly.

I don't want to buy or rent a trumpet until we discover if my son can handle the experience of participating in a band.

here's a link to some pictures of the instrument: Flickr: mrsbuzzy's Photostream

I also do not want to spend much, at least not initially. I'd *like* to do as much as possible at home to fix, clean or salvage the instrument.

Thanks in advance,
    Dawn

2. Outkastah

Outkastah Pianissimo User

Aug 29, 2009
    Boston
    I would give it a good cleaning inside and out, there are lots of guides on how to go about doing that online and all over TM.. be warned there could be some funky stuff in there... And the mouthpiece will be fine to use as long as you wash it in some super hot water and soap or what ever your sterilizing process of choice may be.

3. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Well, Dawn, you have taken on a task that hopefully can be concluded in time for band, but maybe not.
    It would be nice to identify the maker. Can you see a stamp of a country of origin anywhere, such a China or something else.
    There are several "slides" on the trumpet that need to be pulled out and off so the trumpet can be cleaned. They are the U shaped ends of the tubing out the ist, 2nd and 3rd opening of the valve block, plus the main tuning slide end, down from the mouth piece. You might try and pull them to see what happens, but not a lot of force. They have to be kept lubricated with slide grease. If they are really stuck, you should take it to a tech at a music store, as damages can occur if they are forced.
    The valve caps and bottom caps need to be able to unscrewed to oil and service the pistons.

The trumpet doesn't look too bad cosmetically.

If the band teacher is a brass player, He/she should look it over and check the items I mentioned.

I have a grandson with a form of Asburgers also.

I think a possible way around this is for him to sit in band class a couple of times to see how the "noise" affects him before doing much to the horn.

Good luck!

4. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I think you're right that this is a generic "beginner trumpet". In my opinion as long as air goes through it, there's noting wrong with giving this one a shot.

Cleaning it is generally pretty easy...if you have the right equipment. Since this would be your first time, and you got the trumpet free, I'd really recommend bringing it to a local music shop and have them clean, grease, and oil it for you. They should only charge a minimal labor fee, and they'll do a thorough job.

5. plp

plp Pianissimo User

Nov 9, 2003
    South Alabama
    Yes, it can be salvaged. I believe from the design it is a Conn Director made after 1972, should be a serial number on the 2nd valve that will help determine the year. As was suggested, take it to the local music store and have the felts and corks replaced and any stuck slides pulled. You will need valve oil, but other than that if everything works it should be fine, no need to do anything else. As far as cleaning and regular maintenance, check this site and TH through the search engine to get instructions on how to bathe it correctly.

This is a student grade trumpet, and should be fine for the first three or more years, unless he really takes off, as is possible with Aspergers people. My best friend of the last 38 years was diagnosed a few years back and was a great trumpet player, until he lost interest and discovered electronics.