Can too much practice damage your chops?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by eviln3d, Feb 19, 2016.

1. blaser

blaser New Friend

Apr 4, 2011
    maximum tone production in one note...that is EVERYTHING. people think long tones are boring because they do them WRONG. i can pretty much take any note in a recorded track and use it anywhere...why? the way i play ONE note. i have a 2 minute routine that is all the practice i need.

2. JRgroove

JRgroove Mezzo Piano User

Apr 8, 2014
    Kansas City
    :-?

3. eviln3d

eviln3d Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2013
    Oh their schedule is much more than 2 days a week. on all weekdays its an extra hour before school starts, but only on Tuesday and Thursday it is also 3 and a half hours after school... and of course 8 hours on Saturdays... And as you mentioned there is also the football games. Given the length of the normal school day bus rides and all it is only on two days where there is zero time for anything beyond band.

I do remember the time when I was in band and had the same hour before school started but then it was only 1 night each week for 2 hours... Unfortunately for whatever reason in our area the schools seems to be in a mad rush to out practice each other... We found that the school in the town right by us has 3 hours after school each day except game days when it is only 2 hours and of course 5 hours on Saturday...

I think I might understand all of it a bit more if there was anything to really be gained from it all.... But to be honest the only people in the stands that are really going to watch the half time show are the parents of the band kids... there are no competitive full ride scholarships for marching bands where you have university scouts scouring the high schools to find someone worthy... They don't win anything at the contests beyond a trophy.... It just seems to be that where we are there are a lot of band directors that really wanted to be in drum and bugle corps and never made it so now they are trying to do the same thing with high school kids... Lord knows the last time I saw a local band doing a half time show it was very much liking watching a bad DCI show, bad singing and all.

4. JRgroove

JRgroove Mezzo Piano User

Apr 8, 2014
    Kansas City
    It sounds to me like you had your mind made up against marching band before your 1st post. There are always negative and positive aspects in any program as large as a marching band. This is true in all areas of life.

You have pointed out some difficult or possibly negative things about marching band. However, you have missed some of the most important good stuff.
    Being in the marching band is fabulous experience in working with a large group of people to get a single goal accomplished.
    The marching band is a community. It's great to go through high school with a strong community at your side.
    Band members tend to be some of the highest functioning kids in a school. This is definitely the type of students I want my child to associate with.
    Some marching bands travel. Another great opportunity for a student to spread their wings while in a positive environment.
    Some colleges give a partial scholarship for marching band even if you are not a music major.

Good luck with your decision on Marching band.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Perhaps some men are old enough to remember Selective Service and their thoughts about the future in the military. Well, IMO I haven't seen any high school bands lately that really know how to march, their movements on the field now are dance choreographed.

Several years ago, I saw many high school bands from around our Nation in DC that could march and you may have seen them also on TV in the Presidential Inaugural parades ... and in the Macy's Day parade ... and in the Rose Bowl parade and on parade in several foreign countries by invitation.

My high school band was never one of them, but we did march in a PA governor's inaugural parade and provide the music for his Inaugural Ball. Too, we sure did like the overcoats he personally bought for each of us as were our own to keep. I grew out of mine and donated it after removing the label with my name on it.

The saddest part now is that of 104 players at our max, I'm still only in contact with 17. Of my graduating class of 98, just 11, and of them just 6 were also band players.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    As a parallel to: Guns don't kill people, people kill people.

Too much practice doesn't damage you chops, people damage their chops.

Practice with reason, and be thirsty, my friend.

7. eviln3d

eviln3d Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2013
    Actually I had originally been hoping she would stay in band, but that was all prior to what I see as a rather ridiculous schedule. I know when I was in band many years ago we did practices before schools... even once a week after school... But never to the point that you wouldn't be able to do your school work or to the point that your chops were completely shot.

And I"m well aware of the positive bits of band... But am also aware that things like college scholarships for marching band are easy to get and don't require you to have come from a high school marching band that won trophies or simply taught you to play an instrument appreciate music.... My old college anyone willing to commit to the require practice and ability to play at a reasonable skill level could get a music scholarship.

One of the things that has started to boggle my mind in the area where we are now. There are a lot of high schools that are taking marching band as serious as if it were some meaningful competition... At best these bands might win a trophy, not prize money just a trophy... I know in my time we won some trophies some times and didn't others, but after being out of school having won or lost means nothing. I'm really baffled at why these schools are putting in more time than a football team to achieve something that will have even less impact on anyone than a state football trophy.

Colleges send out scout to see high school football players that they might hope to sign up... Have you ever heard of a college sending out a scout for a trumpet player?

8. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    I think a lot depends on the school. Let me give you a real life example that increased my awareness on this topic. After a year at University of Auburn Montgomery (which does not have a band) my son begged to transfer to Auburn University where they have a top notch band. A well rated private religious university even offered him a 50% tuition scholarship if he would go there and play trumpet. He insisted on Auburn. When we talked with the music department about him going to Auburn and scholarships, they explained that all AU interested students go through a 10 day band camp in August. At the end of the band camp they cut (last year I think) 165 students. Yes, cut after attending a grueling summer camp of 12-14 hours a day. Scholarships? They asked me why would they give scholarships when they have 165 highly dedicated people dying to get in that would come for free if given the opportunity. No need for scholarships. By the way, my son made it but by the skin of his teeth - and he is a very good player- Allstate, district etc., even passed the AP test in music theory.

Point being, it really depends on the area. Don't expect every school to offer scholarships the way some do.

9. gsmonks

gsmonks Piano User

Not sure what point you're trying to make. You've obviously never been around students who play symphonic instruments, including piano, at a very high level. The best get cherry-picked by a few all-virtuoso orchestras, but the rest, after all that work, and all those competitions, and all that money and time invested in lessons, walk away with their little piece of paper in hand, and for the most part become music teachers. A good many walk away from instruments they'd played from an early age, and never look back.

Is it all a waste? No more so than graduating from high school, and never using any of the academic things you spent a dozen years learning. If that's how you look at the experience, all you're going to see is waste and failure.

It's like the difference between an American game show, where the contestants can win tens of thousands of dollars, and a British quiz show, where maybe a hundred dollars is at stake. It's a matter of priorities.