Can trumpets substitute flugel horns?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by keigoh, Apr 4, 2013.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I found this true as well. I was challenged during one of my Quintet rehearsals by our leader not to use my flugelhorn but to try to get a flugelhorn sound out of my trumpet. I used the same mouthpiece, but found that relaxing and dropping my lower jaw really mellowed the sound to the point that my leader was satisfied. I then challenged our acoustic piano player to make his baby-grand sound like a Hammond B-3. He let me down.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ahhh my fine friend...

you neglected to read the part of my quote that states "a flugelhorn they are not using". I use both of my current horns regularly and often... as with their use... people just keep hiring me back... again and again and again... so much so that I play the second horn while the other horn cools from the friction of frequent playing.

Perhaps an Eclipse some day when one of my current horns begin to melt but do date... there is no sign of ware from my current arsenal. However, if you should be so kind to donate your Eclipse to me to place on rotation, I will try to be gentle to it as to not to damage it's core.

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I think I suggested that in post #2...;-)

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ooops... you did... and what GREAT advice that was Dale, so much so that it dared to be repeated:oops: