'Can you even out' a raw brass finish ?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by yoelarry, Feb 26, 2011.

1. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    What is being meant (by you and the OP) by musical benefit? Are you referring to some nebulous musicality which can be codified and assessed on some marking scale?

This could spawn such critiques as:

Oh, that performance was 68% more musical because he played a trumpet with silver plate on the valve body, lacquer on the lead pipe, and a raw brass finish on the bell!:dontknow:

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Wipe the raw brass down with vinegar once a week - that will even it out.

And what is the pertinent benefit of the intrusion of the self-appointed forum police and how does the policeman's comment differ in relevancy from that to which he objects?

3. hup_d_dup

hup_d_dup Piano User

May 28, 2009
    Tewksbury, NJ, USA
    It's easy to make a silly analogy. Here's mine:

OP: I have been using Ultra-Pure valve oil in order to play higher notes. I would like to know if other people find Ultra-Pure a good valve oil.

1st responder: Valve oil doesn't help you play high notes.

2nd responder: It's fairly evident that the OP is was not seeking opinions on the ability to play higher notes; instead he asked if Ultra-Pure is a good valve oil.

4. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    My point exactly.

5. yoelarry

yoelarry New Friend

Jul 8, 2009
    Sheezus, Trumpet Nazis.........lighten xxx up. So maybe I'm not a musical trumpet freakin' genius like some of you out there ( you know who you are ). I hereby retract my unforgivably ignorant statement, 'musical benefits'. Happy now ?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2011
  6. Jackson Arch

Jackson Arch Piano User

Mar 6, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Well now, that would make your actual position mighty confusing, Brekelefuw. You previously stated that "There is no musical benefit from raw brass." Now, you agree with trumpetsplus that the benefits of raw brass are very difficult to quantify. I reckon we're all in agreement now in stating that the musical benefit of raw brass horns is hard to prove or disprove.

The good news is that some smart, generous folks on this forum provided some worthy suggestions to help this gentleman with the patina of his horn.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  7. Jackson Arch

Jackson Arch Piano User

Mar 6, 2010
    Oklahoma
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with your statements, yoelarry. And, your thread helped bring out some great suggestions from the fine folks on this forum. If I had a raw horn that was going the direction of yours, I'd be giving them suggestions a go.

There are a great many accomplished trumpet players who see a benefit to raw brass, in certain situations. And, there are many that don't. The only thing that really matters is whether you see an advantage. I seem to recall that there were several threads which addressed this debate. Some spirited discussions there, then they all faded away with no decisive concensus.

(Be careful with the French expletives...might offend someone)

8. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    There was nothing wrong with your first statement.

This one however is completely inappropriate.

9. yoelarry

yoelarry New Friend

Jul 8, 2009
    In the interest of Peace I edited out the words 'musical benefit' from the post. Thank you to all who submitted suggestions to my question about the raw brass finish of my Trumpet.

10. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Nothing on a horn gives a musical benefit except the player and the knowledge in his/her brain.

Vulgano Brother likes this.