Can you get Laskey MPs in Gold Plate?

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by silverstar, Jan 13, 2005.

1. silverstar

silverstar Mezzo Forte User

Jan 6, 2005
    I've recently developed an allergy to my old bach 3C, and my teacher wants me to get a Laskey 68 C (or is it MC....) anyway, so I need to get a gp mouthpiece.

Does anyone know if they come in Goldplate, or would I have to send it somewhere and have it goldplated?

Thanks.

Lara :-?

2. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    http://laskey.com/

they come in gold plating,but you might have to order it from Laskey. I know WWBW and Dillons carry Laskey mouthpieces for about $25 cheaper than listed on Scotts website, but i am not sure if they sell gold.

3. silverstar

Jan 6, 2005
    Thanks!

Aiiiii! $125 for a mouthpiece?!? Oh well, I guess that's a welcome to the 'real trumpet' world, huh?

Lara :shock:

4. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Laura,

Have you ever played on a Laskey? They are the most comfortable pieces I've ever put on my lips. Real fat, wide rims. After you get used to them, all other mouthpieces feel like they cut into your lips, and you cringe when you see a french horn play, lol. I bet a gold plated one would be REALLY awesome!

Laskey pieces are real expensive though, and I don't think getting a gold plated one directly from them would be all that practical. I think if you looked around, you could find someone who would just gold plate the rim for you (Thats all that needs the gold, anyways).

Check out goldchops.com, or see if theres any plating companies in your area who could do it for you (Area platers are usually MUCH cheaper, but you need to make sure they can do the job, first). Also, be sure and get 24k gold, not the crappy 14k. I am still pissed I spent my good Christmas money last year on a 14k 5B that still feels like silver!

Oh, and on cup depth, have you tried a B cup? You should check out a 3B, if you can. SHOOT, how about a double cup, like Parduba, or Jet-Tone?

My trumpet teacher played on Scott's prototype mouthpieces while in the Jack Daniels band, and he really liked em, though he's now a big fan of the Monette-copy Kanstuls.

While on Monette, I am really curious about those new $350 MPs they are selling, I am wondering if Manny or anyone else here has wrapped his (or her) lips around one, and what he (or she) thought about em.

OML! HOW ABOUT A CUSTOM MOUTHPIECE (Getting all excited)!?! :D

Van

5. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    by the way....does any one else think it is odd for a teacher to suggust a Custom mouthpiece in this instance?

6. silverstar

Jan 6, 2005
    He plays on a Laskey, and I tried it. I've been wanting one ever since....

I love them! I didn't know that they were custom!

Heavens2kadonka~

I'll try that. Thanks for all the help guys!

Oh yeah, I don't want to sound prudish...my name has no 'U' in it....It's from the movie "Doctor Zhivago". :-)

Lara

7. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    you would probably be better off to do what van says, get the mpc from WWBW for $53 then send it off to get the rim done it gold.

8. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Potatoe, Potaatoe, Tomato, Tomaato, lets just call this off... :D

(Yeah, I couldn't emphasize the lengthening of the vowels in a better way)

Anyways, sorry. Will try not to do it again, though I can't make promises. :dontknow:

Van

9. silverstar

Jan 6, 2005
    It's okay...I should be used to it by now....half of the people I meet get it wrong.

I actually almost spelled your sn wrong...I thought it was 'heavens2donka' and not 'heavens2kadonka'.... :oops:

Lara

10. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Oh, and don't feel bad. I forgot Laskeys were custom as well. :oops:

I would say try these:

A Bach 11/4
    A Bach 3B
    A Bach 5B
    A Bach 1B (!!!)
    A double cup (Any size will do, just notice the feel of them, see if you like them better)
    A Vee cup (Will either love or absolutely despise it, NO IN BETWEEN WITH THESE)
    A Kanstul
    ANY MOUTHPIECE YOU CAN GET YOUR HANDS ON!!! :D

Van