Can you help me identify and value some vintage trumpets? Holton, Conn Getzen

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by SinglecutGuy, Jan 6, 2017.

1. SinglecutGuy

SinglecutGuy New Friend

Jan 6, 2017
    Can you help me identify and value some vintage trumpets? Holton, Conn, Getzen

I'm working on an estate and have about 25 horns to go through, many of which are obscure and less than common versions of standard instruments. I have here 3 of them (for now) that I'm having a difficult time figuring out what they are, and more importantly, what their value is, so that I can assist a widow in liquidating her late-husband's collection. Any help would be much appreciated here, so these are over my head! I have a few more that I will need help with, but this only let's me upload 11 pictures per post, so I'll update with the others if you guys are able to help me out. I appreciate anything you can do. Again, I'm looking for help valuing these, and further clarification.

Here's a Holton (Bass?) Trumpet serial # 400xxx - all slides and valves are clean and free moving, pretty sure original lacquer, amazing condition. Measure about 25" from end to end
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's a Selmer "K-Modified" 24B serial 428xx. I have no clue what's on the side of it on the lead pipe...but the "cap" screws off to a small opening. Slides and valves are clean, valves are good, some sluggish slides, also great condition.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's a Getzen Tone Balanced Super Deluxe Trumpet (Herald?) serial # 86417. valves need oiled, one stuck slide, but overall amazing condition.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a Conn (Bass?) Trumpet serial #K31xxx. All valves are good, slides are all moving, just a little stiff. Amazing condition. Measures 22 1/2" long.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    What a pretty collection!

That Holton bass trumpet will be worth a lot!

Holton Bass Trumpet
    (Rare horn, have only seen one go on Ebay in 5 years.) Approx Worth Value: 1,200USD+

3. Leslie Colonello

Leslie Colonello Pianissimo User

Dec 17, 2016
    On K-Modified, I believe it's a microphone hook up

4. BrassBandMajor

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    +1 on Leslie! :-) Nice spotting.

5. OldSchoolEuph

OldSchoolEuph Mezzo Forte User

Apr 1, 2011
    Michigan
    That first one is indeed a Holton model 58 bass trumpet. BBM may have missed a few. I have seen less than ten in the last four years on eBay. They can fetch a good price, but I would expect still shy of the fourth figure. The Getzen herald looks similar to the 300 series Getzen Disney Fanfares, which are, as herald trumpets go, remarkably good players.

To identify Holton, Martin, HN White "king" or Olds Bb trumpets! You can use the identification guides at www.trumpet-history.com. The Holton, Olds and King guides also cover Cornets.

6. BrassBandMajor

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    I think the rarity is the key thing that boosts up the value of the Bass trumpet by Holton, don't know how it plays.
    The Bach Strad bass trumpets ones go for around 1200~1800USD range.

7. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    They are a nice set of horns, pretty rare, but not the most sought after. The K Modified is a nice horn, and probably the easiest to move.

The Holton 58 Bass trumpet is an extremely front heavy horn to hold and play - I would think the least desirable. It is rare, however I would have thought $1000 would be a good price. I would not buy it.
    The Conn 4B Bass Trumpet would be a better design, easier to hold and play, and really rare. They only made them to order, and for a short period of 6 or 7 years in the 1960's. That one you have looks to be in exceptional order, so is desirable. My guess would be over $2K to $2500 if the right collectors/players can recognise it for what it is.

The 2 most common Bass trumpets are the Bach Strad B188 Bass Trumpet, and the Getzen Eterna 994. The best I have played is the Getzen, owned one in the 1970s and 80s. More plentiful, so the market is probably taken care of - so it is a case of finding the right person for these.

There are many cheap Bass Trumpets from China for doublers, so a serious collector/player may take time to find. I would suggest maybe contacting a couple of good stores to maybe sell on Consignment. Trent Austin ACB and Landress Brass are the 2 that come to mind. They could also probably give you a much better idea of the value.

The Herald trumpet has very limited appeal for players, March of Aida, and the Horse Race Calls, are the most likely events to use one. Maybe $500 to $700 would be a good price.

They all look to be in good condition, and hardly used. I know it probably seems low numbers, but check Ebay to see what has sold - you will not find many high end Bass Trumpets outside of Bach and Getzen in USA.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    WHERE are you located? ;-) I concur with most of what has been said. The herald trumpet is a Getzen 90 Super Deluxe (their pro line back then) from prior to 1963 when the Getzen factory burned down. It's decent enough but as has been said, you need the right buyer. I've seen them sit at $400 forever, so aim lower. The Selmer is the most desirable of the lot but it's been modified, probably to accommodate some type of electronic effects. The Vox Octavoice was very popular in the late 60's and 70's and had a set up that was mainly attached to the mouthpiece. I would keep an eye out for some odd looking electronic gizmo that doesn't go to anything. It would be cool as a buyer to have the whole set up and it could help the sale. I have a bass trumpet and it's a Getzen. Excellent horn, but, when to use it and by whom? They would be used by trumpet players doubling, thus the valves. Their weight is a problem and marching with them is hard. There are marching trombones for that if needed (got one of those too :oops:). I look forward to the rest of the collection. I like the former owners style!

9. Leslie Colonello

Leslie Colonello Pianissimo User

Dec 17, 2016

These older style pick-ups had to be attached to the leadpipe and I believe it was a permanent attachment. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong) The bell clip-on wireless supplanted the leadpipe monstrosity that probably affected the natural vibration of the mouthpiece receiver when not in use. I don't know why someone would do that to a fine K-Modified!

10. Acludwig1

Acludwig1 Mezzo Piano User

Nov 22, 2016
    Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
    So that's what that is, I saw a silver Vox trumpet with a similar mechanism for $79 buy it now.