Can you help me identify and value some vintage trumpets? PART 2 Holton, Conn, Yamaha

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by SinglecutGuy, Jan 10, 2017.

1. SinglecutGuy

SinglecutGuy New Friend

Jan 6, 2017
    Thank you so much for the help with the previous thread! Hopefully you guys can help out with a few more as well. I'll most likely have a Part 3 coming soon!

Same thing as with the others...any help with model confirmation, dating them, and valuing them is a tremendous help to me, and the widow.

First up! I believe this to be a Holton Alto Trumpet, Model 56, serial number 343xxx. 1 stuck slide (biggest one), remaining are clean and good, valves are clean and smooth, corks look suspect. Some light pitting on this one, no dings or dents. Help with year and value?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Up next is a Conn Connstellation. Serial number is 391xxx, early 50's I believe? This has a trigger on the first valve, would this have been stock or a mod? All slides are clean and moving freely, valves will need oil but clean. Corks look ok. My thought was $799 on this?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last one for this round is a Yamaha YTR-636, serial number 011xxx. All slides and valves are good, only 1 sluggish slide. Some light pitting on this one as well, no dings or dents. I had a hard time dating and valuing this one as well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Re: Can you help me identify and value some vintage trumpets? PART 2 Holton, Conn, Ya

The Conn should sell for more than $799. The trigger is stock on Connies. It looks to be a 28B. The alto is another of those oddball horns (I have an alto FLUGEL!!). It's cool, but you have to find the right buyer. The Yamaha could be interesting because of the affiliation with Schilke and Conn. I don't remember what it was modeled after (B5???) but some of those are good horns if they are clean. I don't know if this is a model that could have Yamalloy valves. It could have just been Schilke horns affected but the annealing process was flawed. It was fixable with the results being very satisfactory.

3. Pascalouisiana

Pascalouisiana Mezzo Piano User

Aug 29, 2015
    Abbeville, LA
    Re: Can you help me identify and value some vintage trumpets? PART 2 Holton, Conn, Ya

Aren't alto flugels called solo altohorns?

4. veery715

veery715 Fortissimo User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY

The Holton look like it might be a fun small jazz combo horn - but probably a bear to play in tune. I'd give a few hundred for it.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia

Maybe, probably, I don't really know. I'm thinking our European brethren would know more. It has Eb and F tuning slides. Has a large small letter "e" on the bell. I have been told it's Couesnon.

6. OldSchoolEuph

OldSchoolEuph Mezzo Piano User

Apr 1, 2011
    Michigan

The Conn is a 1950 and looks great. I think it will do well at auction.

The Holton 56 is a 1961. It is the rarest of the rare, but the challenge will be finding anyone who wants it. You may want to consider a month long listing on that to try and find the right buyer.

The Yamaha, if it is a 636, would be a Schilke design based largely on his medium (.450") bore B7 but with some tweaks including bell alloy and tuning slide geometry. These are good, schilke-esque players and usually command an EBay price in the $500 to $1000 range.(a bargain if you like this style of horn). These were made between 1977 and 1982.

{I edited this to correct a significant typo: I had typed "B6". This is a Schilke B7 design - Schilke #1 / Yamaha "A" bell (actually considered the Large bore bell) with "M" bore. The B6 used a Schilke #2 / Yamaha "B" bell (considered the "ML" bore bell) with "M" .450" bore}

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  7. OldSchoolEuph

OldSchoolEuph Mezzo Piano User

Apr 1, 2011
    Michigan

I was a bit thrown by the color of the Yamaha, but on checking, I see it is listed as a gold tinted lacquer finish - which explains the appearance.

8. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    New Zealand

I would buy the Holton 56 if I had the money. Its an Eb Alto Cornet or trumpet?
    I know someone on TM has an Holton Alto and a Superbone.
    This guy has some nice horns......

9. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States

There were Elkhart-brand instruments made by Couesnon using that same logo; this was ca. 1960s after EBICo was folded into Buescher entirely, though the case covers used a variation of the Elk with Heart logo.

10. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States

What is the mouthpiece included with the Yamaha? The rim looks flat and the cup med-shallow but it could be the photo