Can you help me shop? Low budget!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by christineka, May 3, 2014.

1. christineka

christineka Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2010
    I'm starting up a community band. I want my son to come play with us, too, and we can't both play the same horn. He's also auditioning for orchestra (If he doesn't make it this year, he definitely will next year.) and I think he should have a trumpet. (He's got a cornet now.) My problem is that budget is really low. I looked in the local classifieds and only found cornets in my price range, though there is always the possibility of bargaining a lower price for a low priced trumpet. I looked on ebay and I just don't know. I don't want to get a bum deal. I'm hoping to spend around $150 (or less, if at all possible).

Any recommendations on what's decent that's on ebay?

Here's the local classifieds

General - Musical Instruments /Brass Classifieds for Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming | ksl.com

2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Hi Christine,

here is one that is in your price range if you do not mind a less than perfect soldering job on the rear brace, otherwise looks in reasonable condition.

ebay item no 261467725584 Solid Besson 609 Trumpet USA. What do others think?

Holton Trumpet, page 6 of KDL classifieds.

Regards, Stuart.

3. marsuleu

marsuleu Piano User

Mar 30, 2009
    Bucharest , Romania
  4. Amir

Amir New Friend

Mar 7, 2009
    Israel
  5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    The Besson 609 was manufactured by Kanstul in California under contract to Boosey & Hawkes when B&H owned the brand. IMO, it is on the upside of a student trumpet quality maybe into intermediate. I have one.

6. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
  7. vern

vern Piano User

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    If the cornet is of decent quality, I would strongly consider sticking with the cornet for a few years (unless he makes the orchestra). Some of the greatest trumpet players of all time (Ghitalla, Herseth, Smith, Mendez, on and on) started on the cornet and had no reservations about starting youngsters on that instrument.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    my success on Ebay for purchasing items and NOT getting a bum deal is rather simple. I look for the sellers who have, at least, multiple hundreds (most multiple 1,000's) of items sold and also have a very high satisfaction rating (95% or higher) --- a lot of these peeps generally buy up households at estate auctions. They even typically state that they are an auction house and don't know much about musical instruments, other than "all the slides, and valves work". Basically these large sellers are dealing in big ticket items (antique furniture, artwork, appliances and such) --- so a musical instrument they find in the closet, is rather a "nuisance" to them, and they just need to move the item. In my past few years, I have scored several trumpets (good working condition) for $100 or less -- I also got a very nice Olds trombone that I regularly use for $35 ------- so Ebay can be an useful place to get musical instruments under the right conditions ------------ well that is what I do

9. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    This means that KT will never buy anything from me!

Well, would you buy a used car from a broken down New Zealander?ROFLROFLROFL

10. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I'd suggest letting him play your trumpet and you play the cornet while you toss some dollars in the cookie jar and keep your eyes peeled for something good.

On the weekends, go to the rummage sales, you'd be surprised what you can get for $25 to $50.

Tom