Can you help me shop? Low budget!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by christineka, May 3, 2014.

1. christineka

christineka Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2010
    Except I don't have a trumpet. I have a cornet that the both of us play, but at different times. I usually only play for the community's presentation of Messiah in December (I play second.) and nothing else. Now I bugle in my home and surprisingly (or not), I'm actually getting better!

I want two horns and I figure if there will only be two, they probably shouldn't both be cornets.

2. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Ah, my mistake! I thought you had two cornets, for some reason.

But do the rummage sale thing!

Tom

3. christineka

Feb 24, 2010
    Thanks for all the advise. I prefer local if at all possible, to see what I'm buying before I buy it and so I don't have to pay shipping costs. I tried calling the guy with the Olds, but had to leave a message. A guy from the local yard sale facebook group says he has a trumpet in his basement he'll sell for $50. I have to wait until Monday to find out what it is, though.

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Don't count yourself out just yet Ivan - my cheap trumpets and trombone get carted to community band - if I should ever get a dent on my $35 trombone in a parade or $100 trumpet - it wouldn't bother me -- but at some point a new horn might be in the running ((seeing is how Olds Super and the 1055 King Silver Flair are no longer made - then why not buy a Jaeger trumpet?

5. christineka

Feb 24, 2010
    Maybe I will try ebay. It sounds nice to just buy a horn and have it delivered to my home.

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I think if you stick with sellers with a good rating, and those that post good pics and descriptions - you will be OK

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I didn't see craigslist mentioned! I have found some amazing deals there on professional horns in your price range! Getzen Severinsen -$100 : Blessing Super Artist -$125 : Getzen Super Deluxe -$75 : Student horns I found, Olds Ambassador -$75 : Olds Pinto -$65. Just keep beating the bushes, the deals are out there! Happy hunting!

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    another option is the local thrift shop/antique store --- My Dad picked up a nice little Holton Cornet for $35 a few years back for me. The shop owner said it was broke and you couldn't even blow air through it --------- My Dad thought I could fix it, so I did -- changed the valves around and put them in correctly ---- it's a sweet little horn ---------------- 35 bucks my friends!!!

9. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    keep an eye out for an used Getzen Capri, you can't go wrong.

10. christineka

Feb 24, 2010
    Craigslist is not used much here, instead most ads are on ksl.com, but facebook yardsale groups are becoming more popular. The ads that are on craigslist are usually duplicated on ksl.com

We have one thrift store in town and sometimes it has one instrument. I bought a conn trombone for $20 and then spent $100 to fix it up. (I'm learning from past mistakes.) I also got my husband a metal clarinet for $40 that he enjoys and a plastic clarinet, which my friend repadded and then I sold for quite a bit more. :) I haven't seen anything lately and I have little self control when it comes to buying random secondhand stuff, so I can't go thrifting often.

At any rate, it looks like I'm buying a Besson 600 something for $150 shipped.