Can you help me shop? Low budget!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by christineka, May 3, 2014.

1. christineka

christineka Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2010
    I have the $50 King. It has sluggish valves, but it has a big, beautiful sound. It's been sitting, unused for many years.

If valve oil alone won't fix the valves (I've already applied a lot) and the springs seem fine, might a thorough cleaning help? I'm going to clean it anyway, cause who knows what's in this horn...

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Super! Clean the valves and valve cases well and then oil them (or clean the entire horn). That should get the valves working correctly.

3. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Snake as many tubes as you can. Pay attention to the little connector ones at the valve block,too. I've had problems with stuff getting in there before and then affecting valve motion.:oops:

4. christineka

Feb 24, 2010
    It took a bath with my horn tonight. (I noticed my horn is a King, too.) The valves are still sluggish, but they get better with use. I'll just practice a bit with it this week and do a lot of oiling and if they don't get better, go see the repair guy on Monday when I'm in town.

[​IMG]

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Acetone / Fingernails polish remover used OUTSIDE IN A WELL VENTILATED SPACE, will get any crud off the valves and the casing. Sometimes soap and water won't get off hardened oily dirt.

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I think the valves will be fine if you keep using it and keep oiling it - I remember my 600 being that way for awhile though it was clean

7. christineka

Feb 24, 2010
    I played this morning- I needed to pick band music and figured if I could play the solo cornet part, that the rest of the band could play their parts. I don't intend to be the solo, but just in case, I figured I better pick out something I could play. The valves are getting better. I asked my son for his cornet because the valve oil we've been using is in there. Looked all over and it seems he left it on the bus again. :( That kid drives me crazy sometimes. (I have 4-5 bottles of partially used valve oil in the basement that I can go get.)

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    That reminds me of the guy who repaired instruments and owns the local music store - he would come to band with sticky valves and never seemed to have any oil in his case - I think he quit band though as I haven't seen him this year

9. christineka

Feb 24, 2010
    The Besson 609 arrived this morning. Playing is good, but the valves are rusty. (They work better than the King 600 valves are moving) The slides are all stuck, so the horn is in the freezer right now. I did a lot of cleaning of the mouthpiece. (Of course, I have a clean one of a different size anyway, but I think it's good to have more.)

Is there any way to get the rust off?

Apparently, I didn't do such a great job at shopping ebay. Perhaps I'll do better next time. My band music has parts for E flat cornet. I think I will need one next time I have instrument money.

10. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    Rusty valves? I have seen valves that look like there is rust, but it is either discoloration [I have an old Getzen with some red spots on the pistons, and it is no issue] or another form of corrosion [but I cannot remember the name].

I think it should be discoloration more than anything...