Can you help me shop? Low budget!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by christineka, May 3, 2014.

1. christineka

christineka Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2010
    I'll wash it next week and see. My piano technician was just over and told me the music store, where he works (and where I sit every week for viola lessons) has a machine for pulling slides and it is a free fix. I'll be there Monday.

2. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    Do note that the red discoloration/"corrosion" [?] doesn't seem to wash off or come off with acetone [at least not on my old Getzen]...
    Still, it shouldn't be a problem, and if the valves work fine, then that's okay. I have heard of some modern Chinese pocket trumpets having the "rust" issue on the valves...

Best of luck - enjoy the new horns!

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    You could try a Blitz slide /valve cloth to get rid of the discoloration. Cost about $4!

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    The Eb cornet part in old marches is usually covered in another part, sometimes in the solo cornet part, but most of the time in a ww part. An Eb cornet is a whole different animal, and unless you buy a good (expensive) one, the results won't be very satisfactory, even with a good player who can play the Eb part.

5. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    Here are some European E-flat cornets, but caveat emptor - I know almost nothing about them, except for the brand. Contemplate purchase at your own risk.

Amati CR 252 EB Solo Cornet Silver with Case and 3c Mouthpiece | eBay - $325 and $17 shipping to my area, and Amati isn't a horrible brand, but there are few reviews on the Eb cornets, and many that reference them refer to the whole company as inconsistent...
    Kühnl & Hoyer ◠Trompete ◠Trumpet ◠Kornett ◠Cornet | eBay - in Germany - K&H has a good reputation, but I can't find anything on their Eb cornets
    Es-Kornett K&H Kühnl & Hoyer /GLI FRA, Eâ™* Cornet, Cornet Ã* pistons, Cornetto | eBay - in Germany

Supposedly Yamaha student Eb cornets are good...

Amati??? - View topic: Trumpet Herald forum

Have you played any of these types, Dale?

6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    My Eb cornet playing is limited. I've played a few modern ones a bit, like Besson and Yamaha, but they were upper-level instruments. I've also played a few 19th century ones that were surprisingly good - two Bostons and a Lehnert. The only "inexpensive" Eb I've ever played is an Olds Ambassador Eb trumpet, which I happen to own. I play it only when I have to, because the intonation is a battle.