Can you help recommend a solo for a hs freshman?

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by annagrl007, Dec 14, 2003.

1. annagrl007

annagrl007 New Friend

Dec 14, 2003
    Hi,

I'm a high school freshman and I need a piece of solo music, I like Beethoven and Russian music. I'm having trouble finding a piece of music, could you help?

Thanks

2. TangneyK

TangneyK Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Anna--

Andante et Allegro is one I remember playing as a hs freshman. (By the way, I send my regards to the next 4 years of your life.) I forget who it's by, but it's fairly challenging. Ask dbacon about it, he's the one who had me playing it.

--Kevin

P.S. Also look in the back of your Arbans book for some of those etudes.

3. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    When I was a freshmen I auditioned for district band on brides of the waves from the clarke book, I did not make it however, so either I didnt practice enough or the solo is to hard for a freshmen, I dont know.

4. Jarrett

Jarrett Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Richland, MO
    Ill second Andanta Et Allegro. It's a really nice piece, and it's a piece that is technically challenging, but even more so MUSICALLY challenging. Damn, I just had the guys name on the tip of my tongue. Anyway, I also took that my freshman year.
    -J
    Oh, it's by J. Guy Ropartz, I think

5. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Piano User

Nov 22, 2003
    Gainesville, Florida
    Freshman solo selection

Andante and Allegro is a good all around piece for 8th/9th grade level assuming a 3-4 year experience level. Guy Ropartz is the composer. Has a nice lyrical section and good energetic section with some rhythm concerns that are also good teaching/learning elements.

I recommend getting it as part of the 9 Grand Solo de Concert collection edited by Georges Mager. Good value for the money and several appropriate level solos and one duo.

Aria con Verazione (Handel) is another good learning/performing piece.

Episode (Walters) is a good freshman level piece.

Suite for Trumpet and Strings (piano reduction) by Frackenpohl is an excellent selection.

Variations in Db (Busser) is a great piece with limited range but excellent material. Not very oftern performed but judges at local festivals always ask where it came from due to its quality.

Any of the Herbert L. Clarke selections are good, but be sure they are well within your capabilities. Some are demanding to a point that if one is only getting the notes and not the musical elements, then one will not be successful with these.

While these are not "Beethoven" or "Russian" I think you would do well to look into them. Why limit yourself to only these two catagories. There is plenty of time to get into the works of Arutunian, Gliere, Pahkmutova and others.

Bill Dishman
    Gainesville, Florida

6. Buzz

Buzz New Friend

Nov 11, 2003
    McDonough, GA
    Hmmm... I have a couple... How about Fete Joyeuse? I can't remember who wrote that... or.... Petit Piece Concertante by Balay, I think.
    Meg

7. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Yeah, Petite Piece Concertante was by Balay.

I did very well on the first two movements of Sonata 8 by Corelli, Aria Con Variazioni by Handel, Allegro by Vivaldi, and Trumpet Concerto in Eb Major by Hummel (1st mvt.), though if you want to plaster that judge to his seat, look for one called Napoli. I have a recording of Doc Severinsen doing that one if you pick it.

8. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    I remember playing Morton Gould's "Pavanne"as a freshman. It isn't what you might think it would be by its title and it a rather lovely little piece and is rather bouncy and jazzy. It is very different, but not a simple piece of fluff either. Not easy, but not hard either. It's from one of his little orchestra suites and was written for solo trumpet. It should still be available.
    If you can find it, Al Hirt recorded it with the Boston Pops on the "Pops Goes the Trumpet" album made in the mid 60's. I believe it is released on CD now. (That album has the best "Buglers' Holiday" I have ever heard. Al, Andre Come' and Robert Mogilnicki have a whole bunch of fun with it. Sorry, I digress).