Can you repair silver plating wear?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by duderubble, Feb 25, 2013.

1. duderubble

duderubble Piano User

Oct 21, 2011
    So if you have brass showing at the high wear areas, can you replate them with say a plug & plate kit? Or will it never match and just look worse?

Of course I know replating is a (pricey), option.

2. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    You can repair worn silver with a DIY kit, and you can get excellent results. But usually you have to do some practice before you really get the feel for the process.

3. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    Is there such a kit for gold plate?

4. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    I know there are kits for gold and silver, and I believe kits are available for Copper and Nickel too. At least there were when I was doing a lot of work on firearms. You have to plate with copper before nickel, but the plain copper plating can be nice too. Remember to get a brush kit and not a dip kit for most touch-ups, but if you're plating entire parts you can get a dip plate kit. Caswell is still in business and they're the kits I'm familiar with.

fraserhutch likes this.
  5. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    Kewl, thanks!

6. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    I am very interested in this. several of my horns have worn areas areas on the silverplate. For instance, one of my Strads has a 6x12 mm worn strip across the leadpipe where I used to rest a finger. It also has the typical valve casing wear areas. Would one of these kits replate this? what would it look like afterward? Distinctly noticeable of a repair or not noticeable? Also, how well does the replated area hold up? will it last like the original plating? Thoughts and details appreciated.

7. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Since you asked, this is a job for a pro, in my opinion. I certainly wouldn't do it myself.

Tom