Can your sound get too dark? Does it?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rhosch, Feb 25, 2009.

1. strad116055

strad116055 Pianissimo User

May 27, 2014
    chicago
    i was never very good in art class, so i stand corrected on this.

2. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    I read the whole thread, I evaluated all the answers, and this is my opinion: "No, I do not think so."

[​IMG]

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Boy, do I enjoy being understood....... I wish I was this eloquent!

Basically, all of the talk about needing dark comes from those that currently do not even have the means to realize the goal. When the question gets asked, the blog machinery gets turned on and that generally also does not help anyone reach the goal.

I guess if some girls want to look like Barbie and some young guys want to save the world with Guitar Player Pro, we could put "dark trumpet playing" as a wantable activity in there too. Are the dark wantees the guys with a voice like Barbie and the girls with a complexion like Hulk? Just kidding............. In any case, none of them have ever been my students.

4. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    In my case it was improper playing on inappropriate equipment.

Tom

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Tom, I've only known you to be most proper.... by equipment standards. Man, Tom taught me Buescher's Rock. ALL in his collection are magnificent horns. Who need dark when you have magnificent.

6. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I'm going to throw another spanner in the works here and wrisk the wrath of wRowuk, (well not really I just like the sound of that alliteration)

I tend perhaps because of my contrary nature to think more in terms of warm and cool (in the same way I do when I am painting) rather than bright and dark. I find it easier to think about "warming my sound" for a given piece or section of a piece, for example the opening of the Thome Fantasie, I am thinking warm and mysterious rather than dark. Towards the end of the piece where it is more heroic I am thinking differently, there I do think bright. For me once the notes of the piece are in then the decision of how to colour the tone to tell the story is next, once that becomes instinctive the sound looks after itself.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The wrath of ROWUK, what a concept! Too bad that I am too much of a wimp for that........

I like your comparison. Modulation of the core, not displacement of the concept.

8. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    All trumpets are black on the inside. Unless the slides are removed.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I do not believe the insides of trumpets are lacquered. I checked mine by the way, pristine brass sir, pristine brass.

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The way I see it, we have a place where dark and bright meet. That is the "core" of our sound. True, equipment can shift that core to the right or left, to brighter or darker, but there will always be that core sound available to the player. Good players can color the sound, making it brighter or darker at will.

Now it gets weird.

I believe the best players can achieve a brighter or darker sound by adding to the core. Same amount of dark in the the bright sounds and same amount of bright in dark sounds. The not so good players achieve a brighter or darker sound by subtracting from the core, subtracting from the beauty in our sound.

I believe this is why some people can sound great on an 6A4a or have plenty of "zing" on a 1B.