Canadian Brass and U2

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by rjzeller, Sep 25, 2005.

1. rjzeller

rjzeller Forte User

Mar 7, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    What a week!!!

Thursday night I had the pleasure of sitting front-row for a Canadian Brass concert. I must confess that while I have many of their CD's, this was my first actual opportunity to see them live. I must say, they are worth every penny.

There's something about watching a group that is clearly having as much fun as the audience perform. It was one of the most engaging performances I've had the pleasure of hearing.

They have two new trumpets (at least, two whom I did not recognize). I spoke with the older one afteward (Stuart Laughton) and apparently he had been with them their very first year, left for (well...for a WHILE), then rejoined them recently. Mr. Laughton simply was a pleasure to watch and listen to. Fantastic tone and the most amazing sense of balance and dynamic control I think I've heard from anyone. He and Mr. Watts were able to enter and exit so seamlessly that if I hadn't been watching, I would have had no idea when they stopped and started playing. They've proven it's not about how loud or soft you play, but how well your sound balances with the rest of the group.

They featured the younger trumpet more (Justin Emerich), and I can see why -- the guy is a powerhouse player. But for me, Mr. Laughton is just a world-class player.

And as if the brass weren't enough...

Anyone for main-floor tickets to U2? D*mn! My ONLY complaint about that concert last night at Target Center was that Minnesotans just don't know how to rock (and this coming from someone who's never taken a drop of alchohol in his life). We're too polite up here...

But U2 sure knows how to rock!! That bunch can put on a show, and while it may not be as "legit" as the repetoir most of us favor, I must confess to being a huge U2 fan. The group did not dissapoint last night. I may not always agree with Bono's politics, but I love the music. My heart is still pounding.

I know...nobody cares. Sorry...just so juiced I had to post something...

2. Dave Payn

Dave Payn New Friend

Jan 20, 2004
    Isle of Arran, Scotland
    Good to hear Canadian Brass are still going strong. Indeed, Stuart Laughton and William Phillips were the founder member trumpeters (I know a few people who think that Messrs. Mills and Romm were there at the start. I did too, until I bought their CBC - The Radio Years CD)

3. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Hey RJZ

You are not alone in your affection for U2.....I have ALL of their stuff and they are one of my favorites. Bono, for me, is the one who carries that group and they do put on a good show. I saw them years ago at the Georgia Dome when it was first built. As a matter of fact, the U2 concert was the first one to take place in the Dome. My favorite part of the concert (I think it was their Zooropa tour) was when they did an unplugged set at the end of the runway which happened to be directly in front of where I was sitting. Needless to say, I was like one of those pathetic screaming girls from the days of the Beatles. LOL.

What is your favorite album by them? "Joshua Tree" is the one for me. "Running to Stand Still" is probably one of my favorite songs too. "All I Want is You" is another favorite. Heck...most of their stuff is great.

Running to Stand Still

And so she woke up
    from where she was lying still
    Said we got to do something about where we’re going
    Step on a steam train
    Step out of the driving train
    Maybe run from the darkness in the night
    Singing ha la la la de day
    Sweet the sin
    But the bitter taste in my mouth
    I see seven towers
    But I only see one way out
    You got to cry without weeping
    Talk without speaking
    Scream without raising your voice, you know
    I took the poison, from the poison stream,
    Then I floated out of here
    She runs through the streets
    With her eyes painted red
    Under black belly of cloud in the rain
    In through a doorway she brings me
    White gold and pearls stolen from the sea
    She is raging
    She is raging and the storm blows up in her eyes
    She will suffer the needle chill
    She is running to stand still

All I Want is You

You say you want
    Diamonds on a ring of gold
    You say you want
    Your story to remain untold

But all the promises we make
    From the cradle to the grave
    When all I want is you

You say you’ll give me
    A highway with no one on it
    Treasure just to look upon it
    All the riches in the night

You say you’ll give me
    Eyes in a moon of blindness
    A river in a time of dryness
    A harbour in the tempest
    But all the promises we make
    When all I want is you

You say you want
    Your love to work out right
    To last with me through the night

You say you want
    Diamonds on a ring of gold
    Your story to remain untold
    Your love not to grow cold

All the promises we break
    When all I want is you

You...all I want is...
    You...all I want is...
    You...all I want is...
    You...

4. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    So where is Joe Bergstaller now? He was quite a player.

5. rjzeller

rjzeller Forte User

Mar 7, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    Alex -- Running to Stand Still has always been one of my favorites. If I were to list them, my top five U2 bits would be: Bad, Walk On, Kite, Running to Stand Still, and So Cruel.

Their best ALBUM, though, I think is still "The Unforgettable Fire". If you listen to it from beginning to end, it's the single most homogenous album I've ever heard...the songs, while each unique, seem to play to an overriding theme that connecs the whole album. It's not a concept album, but it's not just a collection of songs, either.

For me, I think they resonate because a lot of their songs seem to "grow" or evolve as you listen to them. It's like reading a good story -- they mean something completely different to each person, and they seem to have a real start, middle, and end. If classical composers like Tchaikovsky or Rachmaninoff did pop music, this is what they'd write!

Okay, that's a stretch...but they're one of the few groups who understands that popular music is more than just a drum beat and fancy lyrics.

As far as Joe is concerned, as near as I can tell he's essentially gone the freelance/solo route. I think he's booked for some broadway shows, and has released a solo album (check out the CB store)...

6. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Can someone tell me why the Canadian Brass continues to cycle through trumpet players at a seemingly incredible pace? Every time I hear about them, it's always "this amazing new trumpet player." But it's always a different "amazing new trumpet player." Is the playing/tour schedule too demanding?
    -Jimi

7. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    jmichiel wrote:
    Maybe there is still this huge shadow that was cast by Ronnie & Fred.

A tough act to follow....

-cw-

8. rjzeller

rjzeller Forte User

Mar 7, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    Jimi -- I think you and Chuck both are probably on to something.

When I spoke with them last week, they were set to do another gig in a nearby town an hour's drive away. They had several more shows after that...it sounds like they're touring/travelling a LOT. That's got to be tiring for a person.

But it does seem teh trumpets come and go like the wind, for which there may be a bit of the Fred/Ronnie shadow-thing going on. They really were a tough act to follow....

9. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I'd have to think that the travel involved is a killer with C.B. They do perform literally all over the world. Their trumpet players aren't the only ones to burn out or to decide to accept offeres that allow them to develop in different directions: have you checked out their horn turnover?

The only two "originals" (other than Laughton's return after many years) are Watts and Daellenbach. It's gotta be tough on their families.