Canadian Brass

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by snazzypadgett, Feb 5, 2010.

1. snazzypadgett

snazzypadgett New Friend

Oct 13, 2009
    Wow, I have never listened to a brass quintet...and I listened to the Canadian Brass perform "Quintet" last night (there's a music video on youtube). It was one of the most powerful musical inspirations I've had in a very long time.

I was right to decide to learn trumpet.

(On a side note: I'm having trouble writing idiosyncratically between a french horn and trombone. What do you think are their chief differences other than slide vs. valves? Their ranges are almost identical it seems.)

2. tpetplyr

tpetplyr Pianissimo User

Dec 15, 2003
    Boston
    The chief difference between the French Horn and the Trombone is the sound. The trombone is more directional, focused, brilliant and projecting, while the horn is warmer and mellower, but the horn lights up nicely when pushed.

The ranges seem identical on paper, but the horn tends to sit higher in it's range. It overlaps the lower half of the trumpet range and the upper half of the trombone range. You can write for the horn variously as a bridge between the two, as a third trumpet, or as a first trombone.

Check out the Arnold Quintet, the Bozza Quintet, the Dahl Music for Brass Instruments for some good examples of writing for quintet. Also, grab a score and listen to any Mahler symphony or Strauss tone poem and you can hear the differences in writing between them.

Which "Quintet" did you hear by the way?

Stuart

3. loudog

loudog Piano User

Jan 4, 2004
    Grand Island, NE
    My money's on the Kamen...

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The only common denominator between horns and trombones is that they are out of brass. Bore size, mouthpiece, heck even the personalities of the players are different.

Horn players are schizophrenic. That is why they are allowed in woodwind ensembles. They also need strong character to put up with the punishment that they take for missing lots of notes.

Trombone players also have to take a fair amount of heat - for coming in late............

All in all, the chief difference IS the slide, and the bore and the mouthpiece and the mentality.