Cannot find a teacher!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Shield, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Shield

Shield New Friend

Feb 2, 2015
    Hey folks,

I've just recently bought myself a trumpet - but can't find a trumpet teacher in my area! I've tried the local music store, google, even facebook! I'm in Derry, Northern Ireland and was wondering if anyone can help? Is it possible to get started without a teacher? If so, is anyone aware of any reliable, good online resources...just to get started?

Thank you for taking the time for a beginner,

chris

Vulgano Brother likes this.
  2. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Start at some of the local colleges (Foyle, Loreto, etc..) they have a music departments. They may have a lead on who plays trumpet in the area and could better direct you to the local resources.

3. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Welcome to TM, Chris!

I like jiarby's suggestion. The music department at your local colleges is a good place to start.

Mike

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    TM isn't a bad choice for an online resource, but you will have to separate the wheat from the chaff. Mostly wheat here.

5. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
  6. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Perhaps you might contact Eamonn Nolan at the Royal Irish Academy of Music at Dublin - he's a wonderfully well-connected man. Or you could seek out Charles Cavanagh of the Band of An Garda Siochana (Dublin). He's on FB and has his own website (sorry, I don't know it off-hand). He should know someone. And of course, Shaun Hooke (sometime of the RTÉ Concert Orchestra) is bound to know someone up North.

7. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Try the local concert bands. Britannia Concert Band in Derry should be a good opening - most bands offer tuition to beginners.

I've just checked their website. They are looking for new members, and they have a Training Band. Go for it!

http://britanniaband.com/

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015