Can't blame him ....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, Jan 7, 2012.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I noticed that Rowuk closed a thread about Monette Prices (just before I had another comment :lol:).

I have to say, I can't blame him and I would probably close it too. I have my own opinions about Monette prices, and they've changed since I got my beloved Prana mouthpiece. But, the point is ....

IMO, talking badly and even trashing someone's business practices in a public place like this is UNFRIENDLY, to say the least. It can also hurt someone's business ... If it's not absolutely backed up by fact and experience, then it's probably uncalled for. Just saying .....

Turtle

2. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Heil! Rowuk for dictator!

They had a field day with Jason Harrleson over at TH a while ago. Didn't see anybody taking their toys and going home.

3. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Threads should only be closed when people are being abusive. I did not see that.

4. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    WHAT!!!!!!! I didnt get that far yet!!!! NOOOOOOOOO! okay, guess its time to start a new one....

5. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Monette, it's a gas
    Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash.

Monette, so they say
    Is the root of all evil today.

Monette, it's a hit
    Don't give me that do goody good bull ****

With apologies to Dave . . . Gilmour, that is.

6. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    I was a bit surprised that it was closed. While I didn't read every post, I didn't feel anyone was defaming Monettes. In fact, most posts indicated they were supurb or very good horns. I don't see how that is any different than the arguments that arise over whether the Ambassador is the same quality as a Recording -only priced differently for those wanting to spend money; or over which is the best valve oil, with arguements about the very high priced synthetic vs others. All in all, the discussion was civil. In fact, closing such a discussion tend to make people think there is something wrong or that the site is biased toward certain vendors. Just an opinion. I usually agree with most everything the moderator says.

7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Just because they did something in another forum ..... What does that have to do with us?

I also hate it when idiots talk trash about our living or dead trumpet legends, but that doesn't bother their business any, I don't think (especially the dead ones). Just saying ...... opinions are one thing. Badmouthing is another. What's the need for it???

Also, Olds isn't in business anymore.:dontknow:

Btw, I didn't mean to start a thread in which Dave would just get bashed further .... Feel free to close this thread, too, if it gets ugly.

Turtle

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Actually it is quite simple. There is no set "rule" for when a thread gets closed. I generally just let them run. Every once in a while, the trash level gets too high (for me) and it is no longer a discussion. Then I make a call to click or not to click. I was asked to be a moderator many years ago and accepted. I do not view the task of keeping an eye on the posting as something that makes me different from anyone else here. I post as a normal member and reserve the right for my own opinion.

The completely off base comments about Dave Monettes business were out of hand in my opinion and led to my decision to close it. No censorship, just an end. Still fully available for reference.

I don't spend any time at TH and would not use that community as a model for what I do.

I think that a discussion about instrument value would be a great discussion. There is probably a reason that top and not so top players use the instruments that they do. The cost of instruments new and used is also a great theme. Cost reduction by moving business off shore is a great discussion. R&D (or lack of it) done by low cost companies is a great topic. I missed all of this in the Monette thread. Feel free to start a new thread. Think before posting and we will all learn something

Bochawa!!!
    "Heil! Rowuk for dictator!"

is not in line. There is no possible comparison for closing a thread and wiping out millions of people as well as being responsible for the destruction of an entire continent. I am definitely not a tyrant looking for a salute - only a little respect for those in the industry that deserve it. That applies to the Harrelsons, Getzens, Kanstuls, Bachs, Yamaha and all the others that invest in their clients futures.

There seems to be a lot of bad manners when personal values come into play. I often wonder if we were in the same room with a bunch of other TMers such comments would come up. I think not. In any case, no censorship. Just an indicator for future reference. Perhaps there are people on this earth that don't know what Heil Hitler was really about. That is a tragedy, as it makes it far easier for the next monster.

9. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Rowuk, It begins with censorship, the suppression of freedom of speech, and grows from there.

As far as you are concerned right from the get go my position was, and I quote, "idiotic," 'ignorant," and, "shows how little I know about money." Nothing abusive there, eh! In your last post, before you closed the thread you implied that my postion was that of one who cannot "afford" a Monette. You sure made a lot of assumptions about me. It's as if your position is, "How dare you argue with ME."

Actually, I have nothing against Monette and the fun I have been having is not at their expense. You, though, are quite a piece of work.

Go ahead. Close this thread.

Kujo20 and codyb226 like this.
  10. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Whoops.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012