Can't blame him ....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, Jan 7, 2012.

1. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    Hey, Dizzy pulled a knife on Cab Calloway. At least, that is the story.

BrotherBACH

2. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    Ozboy,
    I know of no one at TM that has any business ties to Monette, myself included. I have met the man several times and really enjoy the client status.
    If closing a thread gone stupid is a crime, then I am guilty as charged.
    Closing a thread does not limit freedom of speech, is not censorship or any other limitation of personal freedom. The lack of respect shown to someone offering a different choice is what I criticize here.
    I cannot get my computer to 'reply with quote' for some reason
    rowuk,
    I understand where you are coming from. For the record, I use Monette mouthpieces and love them. My safari is over. As a generalisation, I have found that there are Yamaha owners and there are Monette disciples. (Other brand names could be substituted for Yamaha). My theory is that, partially due to the the amount that they have shelled out, a Monette owner has to emphatically believe in the decision they have made. A lot trumpet purchases are made due to availability or budget or a range of other issues. Monette purchases are based on a desire to have the product that the buyer feels is 'the best' at any cost.
    Monette is unquestionably an innovator.All great innovators, in all facets of life have had to cop criticism/ ridicule from others. The 'tall poppy syndrome' is not about what is right. Monette, just for thinking outside the square, will (and has been) criticised on this site. That is the nature of humanity. If it weren't, there would be lots of threads with one post with a list of likes as long as your arm attached to it.
    I am not so sure I agree that by stopping a thread, you are not limiting free speech. If threads get nasty, then that is another issue. It is obvious that there is a range of knowledge and rationality amongst the members of any community. This one is no different. Given the fact that we all hide behind avatars, who is to say whose opinion is valid. Sure you get a feel for someone from their previous posts but how can you know if they are representative of the real person pressing the keys.
    There is a thread about Chris Botti being awful. It is not a theory I subscribe to but it is an opinion and it has not been stopped as a thread. I tell my kids that you should listen to all opinions and make up your own mind. I don't think the astuteness of the members of this site should be underestimated.
    PS By my own definition, I realise that I will receive criticism for this criticism. If you were to totally agree with me you would be deluded or an inciteful genius. I'll let you pick.:dontknow:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Thanks for the thoughtful take. As you are not sure if closing a thread is limiting free speech (I am not sure either, my gut level feeling is no), we are in total agreement. I will pick deluded as most likely for my state.

4. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    Good for you. Dellusional is an underrated state of mind.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I try to offer my best. That may or may not please everybody all the time. It does keep others from getting my playing gigs though.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I really shouldn't put my foot in my mouth about Monette, but I had the experience to luckily acquire a Monette gold plated B4 mouthpiece. I didn't want it or need it, and never even tried it, but recognized its value and sold it quickly for what I asked for it even though some I respected advised me to lower the price. I am no pro, and have no present need for a Monette trumpet or mouthpiece. Too, now at age 75 I've considered that I wouldn't get the optimum return on such investment in the remaining years of my life and am happy enough with what I have in the way of instruments and mouthpieces. It's just as simple as saying a Monette, Taylor, Lawler or other great instrument or mouthpiece isn't in my future unless I'm the lucky recipient of some benevolence that includes such as I'm presently unaware of and at that time I'd also offer such for sale, but then by some prestigious auction house with a reserve. Too, don't believe such is criteria to join Gabriel's band, and yet all the music he plays is heavenly.

7. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    I want be burried with my mouthpiece in my pocket, so I am ready to go.

BrotherBACH

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Might be the only way to get through a TSA check, should your body need to be flown to another location. From my experience, being alive going through security, carrying a mouthpiece has ALWAYS generated interest. As if it was a lethal weapon. Well, at least not until it is cocked and loaded onto the shaft of my lead pipe.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Why? Peter doesn't employ TSA to search you for it when you enter the gates. Besides, without a trumpet also, what would you use to audition for Gabriel? I don't want to wander around just buzzing ... I want to play.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    How do you know this? Carefull, you don't want Peter shaking his x-ray wand at you.

So I am confused, as a trumpet player do we enter the pearly gates only after auditioning for Peter Gabriel? The guy who was a singer for Genesis? What the heck does he know about trumpets? And isn't he still living? So how does he have such a connection to the afterlife? Ed you have confused me so much.