Can't count!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cantplaytrumpet, Aug 15, 2012.

1. cantplaytrumpet

cantplaytrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 2, 2012
    I know this may sound silly and a somewhat trivial matter (don't laugh) but I simply cannot count in 3/4 however much I try. I can do 4/4, 2/4, 6/8 whatever, you name it, but I just can't do 3/4.

Everytime I try, it seems to try and convert itself into 4/4 and I get lost of where the downbeat is...

It's really getting on me nerves a bit because I cannot play the simplest songs.

As you guys and gals at TM have been ever so greatly helpful in the past, I am asking for your advice on ways and techniques to solve this problem I have.

Thanks again.

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I assume you've tried thinking "boom-chick-chick, boom-chick-chick...." Rule of thumb is that the first beat gets stressed a bit more than the others. If "boom-chick-chick" doesn't work, perhaps thinking "1,2,3,1,2,3..." will.

Have fun!

3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I usually mark the music with a pencil for the beat. Start with the first beat of each bar, with a pencil mark above the beat. If this does not work, then mark in the other 2 beats.

Lastly, try and get a digital metronome that beats the first beat differently to the other beats. I use a Korg TM-40 -
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/KORG-TM40-D...173?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3a77687375

Good luck, and at worst read it as 6/8.

4. cantplaytrumpet

Apr 2, 2012
    6/8 wouldn't work though because it's compound duple which is nothing like 3/4, so I'd end up reading in two's anyway.

I have tried counting in my head and out loud too (obviously the latter not whilst playing the trumpet ROFL ) but it doesn't seem to work...

But yes, I shall try marking the music and lets hope it works!

Other ideas are also welcome if these do not work. :-)

Sorry to be such a bother to y'all.

5. cantplaytrumpet

Apr 2, 2012
    6/8 wouldn't work though because it's compound duple which is nothing like 3/4, so I'd end up reading in two's anyway.

I have tried counting in my head and out loud too (obviously the latter not whilst playing the trumpet ROFL ) but it doesn't seem to work...

But yes, I shall try marking the music and lets hope it works!

Other ideas are also welcome if these do not work. :-)

Sorry to be such a bother to y'all.

6. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    You obvoiusly know your theory (compound duple) perhaps a little too well, it can throw you if you overthink... Try this for me think of a Vienese Waltz they can be in 6/8 but two in a bar So each bar is Dum Dum I Dum Dum I (I= bar line) now sing the Blue Danube while clicking your finger only on beat 1 and 4 then think of those beat as 1 and 2. (Its long winded and technically rubbish until you come accross a bit of the G&S Gondoliers the Chorus is in 3/4 the soloist in I think 2/8 or somehting else silly. but all the conductor can do is go one in a bar and hope.) It might not be your thing but grab a waltz cd or DVD (Andre Rieu is always entertaining if cheesy) and get the waltz feel then transfer this to other 3/4 times, then drop the Vienese "swing" I might get rubbished for this but it might help you to stop stressing

7. NFS_87

NFS_87 Pianissimo User

Jan 25, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I'll second the notion that you might be overthinking... Being an engineer I know that more often than not overthinking can just complicate an issue.

Also being an engineer I feel inclined to throw technology into the mix. In high school marching band our drumline could not march in step worth anything, so our band instructor pluged his metronome into the biggest amp the school had. It worked pretty well. You can obviously keep rythm, but a metronome that emphasizes downbeats will most likely help!

8. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    As an academic psychologist in my other life, this is really strange. Are you really good at counting in the other meters? My best experiences in extending my counting ability were when the band director, at the end of the year, would evaluate a whole bunch of arrangements. So for a number of rehearsals, it was sight read, sight read, sight read. Then it was later professional bands where it was a single rehearsal and go. These repeated experiences where you are exposed to new stuff to read all the time may improve your general ability to sight read. So, just guessing here: how much are you doing with sight reading in general? Perhaps if you could step that up, the 3/4 conundrum would go away?

9. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    Waltzes are in 3/4. Listen to some recordings on youtube in 3/4. You'll get the feel if you listen to " My Favorite Things " from the movie " The Sound of Music " . I know you're too young to remember or even have heard of the tune. Google it or youtube it and listen to it.

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    take the 3/4 and make it an engineering problem -- like take the smallest beat -- let's say a 16th note, make the subdivisions accordingly (so 3/4 really becomes 9/16 per measure. Now that you have the whole thing subdivided --- you can back calculate to play the notes as they are written. Well wait a minute - wouldn't that actually be 12/16 --- YOU see, if you do this fuzzy math, you have to be an engineer or a mathmatician to be able to play it anyhow.

Wait a minute -- what if you turned the 3/4 into a metric equation --- instead of other people saying you are overthinking this problem -- my conclusion is that you are NOT making it difficult enough to stimulate your gray matter.

well - best wishes on the whole dilemma

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012