Can't count!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cantplaytrumpet, Aug 15, 2012.

1. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    No big deal. It is a mental block only. If you tell your self you can't do it, you will never do it and therefore become invalid to every attempt. Music is a basic mathematical algorithm. Think of it as a triad or triangle. The whole not has 3 beats & when divided by 1/3 then you have a single note. I love playing in any count, so should you. Tell yourself you can do it. Get a metronome if necessary. To start with slow it down. Then progressively increase tempo. You will get there.

2. Paul Du Bourg

Paul Du Bourg Pianissimo User

Oct 27, 2006
    JHB
    Hi All,

How about 5/4 time and other funny ones.

Here's a tip.

Jazz drummer mentioned .....repeat...... "hip po pot a mus"

Then try and syncopate it. yikes !!!

More tips please.

Cheers,

Paul.

3. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Slow it WAYYYY down and count it out loud while tapping it on your legs with your hands, 1 is the right hand (giving 1 more accent) and 2 & 3 with the left or vise versa, keep slowing it down until you find it then stay there until your really comfy with it, counting and tapping. Then slowly bring it up to tempo, if you get lost start over slowly and gradually work it up to tempo….and I agree with everyone, don’t over think it !
    Ever watch “The Jerk” with Steve Martin, and the bedroom scene where he got his “Rhythm” ? Same thing….. Good luck.

4. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    just imagine you are waltzing, and you'll be fine

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Don't hear or see much 3/4 anymore and it throws a lot of folks off (especially singers-duh!). Make yourself play a lot of 3/4 music when you practice. Most ballroom music is in the 3/4:6/8 time so listen and practice and don't think too much.

6. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Get your self a CD of Strauss Waltzes and listen to it as much as you can for a few days. You can sing along with them, 123,123,123.... and you'll catch on.

7. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    as mentioned above: walzes are the answer. If you're not into classical music, try Vlado Kumpan and his band, or the Mnozil brass. I'm sure they've got some interesting walzes on youtube to listen to.

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    YOU CAN! You're going to give yourself a complex. :lol:

If you're more into words than numbers, you can substitute "Dance, Turtle ... dance, Turtle" for "123 ... 123".

And, for 4/4, I use .... "Turtle logic" .... for 5/4 I either change the station or put on another CD. :lol:

Turtle

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    now "Turtle Logic" isn't that saying that you are a Hare short!! of a full race??? ROFL ROFL ROFL

10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I'm not following you ..... But, that's probably a good thing. :lol:

Turtle