Can't count!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cantplaytrumpet, Aug 15, 2012.

1. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    5/4:
    Watch your step there sir,
    Please get off my foot,
    Next time when you ask,
    Me to dance I won't.

Also, you CAN count 3/4 as just 1. That's how you skate to the Skater's Waltz. Left(2,3), right(2,3), left, right - you can feel it.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I think it was "Om pa pa" that got me into the Strauss waltzes. Still, it was doing a circle waltz with my present wife that made it the best, but with my health issues any type of dancing is now just a memory. I consider being able to now walk and not often using my cane to be a blessing. Still, it was the spotlight on us as we danced a polka at a surveyor's convention that cleared the floor ... and though the picture looks like I did a flying split over a table for eight, I swear I did not.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    When ever I am working on a difficult meter I always try to get the down beat and the preceding beat ... for the " and -one " feel ... even if you lose the time in the middle of the measure you can get right back on track. The suggestion about 2 -3 - downbeat is similar just taking it out another beat.
    Try setting your metronome to just click on 1 of every measure ... click -two -three - click - two three ..
    If you find you are moving your body down on the one of every measure you are getting the feel... hope that makes sense.