Can't Get No Satisfaction -Considering Giving Up the Fight

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ThinLips, May 19, 2013.

1. ThinLips

ThinLips New Friend

Jan 31, 2012
    Hey, Folks -

Was a pretty dang decent trumpet player when I was a kid. Won't go into why I quit. I started up again last year and having been playing regularly and....getting nowhere. In fact, in some ways I'm worse than the day I started. Having tried adjusting embouchure, mouthpiece, etc.

If anybody has anything they think might help, I'm all lips.

Mike

2. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Hi Mike. Sorry to hear about your troubles. I started my comeback about 4 years ago. At first, I had a lot of embouchure problems, which made it difficult to make any headway. Some of my initial problems where that I was trying to play things that my embouchure just couldn't handle (because of my 10+ year layoff). It was therefore easy for me to overdo things.

I'm still a "work-in-progress", and have by no means arrived. But it helped me to keep a detailed log. I wrote down everything I played and how long I played. I also wrote down how my chops felt before I started playing and after I finished playing for the day. This helped me to understand how and when I was overdoing things, and help me to develop a balanced daily approach to practicing. I also found a private teacher, who was able to give me some great advice.

I don't know the specifics about your situation. And I may be wrong. But I wonder if part of the answer lies in your reply about adjusting your embouchure and equipment. These types of changes can sometimes set you back.

Mike

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    The 3P effect: Persistence, Practice, and Patience. Doing all this changing around seems more like swinging wildly at a piƱata with a blindfold on. Perhaps, mostly you may need a private teacher and dedicated time of a minimum 1 hour per day.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Fourth P: Paternal. We don't want to punish ourselves, but (OK some weirdo Vulgano Voodoo here) if we approach our practice like we are teaching the trumpet to play us, it is easier to be patient. "Nope, that wasn't what I wanted, let's try it again." That keeps our critical voice from driving us batty while still being quality oriented. Rather than be a slave to the instrument we can become a loving nurturer.

Saves on metronomes getting tossed across the room too.

5. AKtrumpet

AKtrumpet Piano User

Jun 4, 2010
    Alaska
    I think the best thing you can do (well, at least for me) when you get into a slump is to try and remember what originally inspired your sense of wonder with the trumpet.

For me, I'd probably listen to one of these two videos - after I heard these when I was 14 or 15 I became hooked on the trumpet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WdW8vLngHM

Last edited: May 19, 2013
  6. AKtrumpet

AKtrumpet Piano User

Jun 4, 2010
    Alaska
  7. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Wonderful posts, Mit. Hopefully Thinlips is encouraged.

Thinlips, what are your musical goals? Do you have an organized plan for achieving them? I am self-taught in my comeback and am now two years in, but I had wonderful instruction back in the day that I can still rely upon. Do you have a similar advantage? If not, is there any way for you to benefit from excellent private instruction?

We are never done with learning our instrument. Sometimes advances can be rapid dramatic "eureka" moments, more often they are subtle and incremental. We might recognize that our phrasing on a melody line was improved from the last time, or that an exercise we've played was cleaner, or that we can sustain a tone longer with more pleasing quality.

Many of us hope that you find encouragement for persisting and improving in our replies. We also recognize, in spite of our love for our instrument, that it is a demanding one and that it is not for everyone. Best wishes to you as you sort things out.

Jim

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    How often are you hearing these voices Voodoo boy? My wife works for a great county Mental Health Clinic... with my connections... I just know I could get you in.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    4 years... ONLY 4 years!!! Thin lips... If TrumpetMD as he says it is still a "work-in-progress" and by no means arrived... well then I still have my thumb up in the air, hitching for a ride and have yet been picked up. Mike is a fabulous player, and I am totally blown away that he has only been back 4 yeas. TrumpetMD should truly be your inspirational role model, your guiding light, because if you have his drive, I know you can do it... REALLY TrumpetMD... ONLY 4 YEARS!