Can't Get No Satisfaction -Considering Giving Up the Fight

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ThinLips, May 19, 2013.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Fifth P: Puppy... Having my puppies in the room with me singing to my upper register work in harmony is truly inspirational. When I finally figure out how to record a video of myself at home, I have got to post this, as the really get into it, pointing their noses to the ceiling, with concentrated stares, singing in a natural musical harmony with my trumpet... Truly inspirational.

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Do they have snacks?

3. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    It was summer of 2008. So I guess it's been 5 years. :-) But thanks for the kind (albeit exaggerated) comments. And of course, your recordings with the EBQ sound great, too.

When you're struggling with something, it's easy to think everyone has it all figured out except you. That's why I added the "work-in-progress" qualification.

Mike

4. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    This is interesting. My dog starts howling (singing?) when she is in the room and I play w/out a mute or YSB. Not sure if she is singing along, protesting, or a music critic :dontknow:

But to the OP, if you enjoy playing, does it matter how fast you progress? Unless you depend on your musical ability to pay the rent, then really, all that matters is that you have fun with it.......enjoy ! ;-)

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Once again Ted benifits from someone else's inner truth - I knew I'd been hanging around you lot for a reason.

Thinlips - I was away from my instrument (between gigs) for 37 years - I tried the self teaching approach, never tried to get the trumpet to play me though.

My greatest advancement was when I employed a tutor for 1/2 hour per week - mind you, I drove 30 miles to get to him. He quickly realised that the trumpet I had was OK (a student model Boosey and Hawkes Regent MkII) but that the mouthpiece was making me work miles too hard - quick change based on:- professional advice from a knowledgeable observer.

Next step, join a band - yeah, yeah, I know you're not ready, but do it anyhow.

Now you might be thinking that you need to change your trumpet - don't, not yet, got a bit of work to do first, and that one you have is full of beautiful notes that need to come out. That's YOUR challenge - bring 'em out and make them sound the way YOU want them to sound - remember 90% is in your head the other 50% is in the pees ......

So, to add up all the Ps:
    Professional (tutor),
    Persistence,
    Practice,
    Patience, and
    Paternal.
    Let's add just one more for the moment - Pat. Pat yourself on the back when you and your trumpet get it right.

Stick with us - we are so full of this that you won't believe some of the gems we offer.

Me ..... 37 years away ..... 11 years back into it ..... member of 3 bands ..... both sons play ..... mid-life crisis, hah!
    Giving up is for wimps, it's the comeback that shows true character, way to go and thanks for joining us.

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I had a layoff of 25 years. The first part of returning was awful. Lips would be shot before I could complete my old warm-up. You just have to stay after it. Some days I would think, "What's the point"? Well I love playing and making music! You have to get over the suckiness of your sound and find the sound that pleases. I wouldn't mess around with a bunch of different embouchure's as that can really confuse you and slow down your progress. Definitely get in a band if at all possible. Tell them you'll play the 4th part.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Bebop with swing on the side.

8. Swerve

Swerve New Friend

Feb 5, 2013
    Mount Vernon, New York
    ThinLips. On my comeback, i find that sometimes i struggle with the mental side of it all. For example, if i have a so so day of practice, i get down on myself because i know i can be better, or that i once was better, etc etc. On days like that, i find it really helpful to just step back and remind myself that i love playing the trumpet and that sometimes it's just cool being "in the game". You don't have to always hit it out of the park.

Remember, it's FUN playing the trumpet...give yourself some credit, and let it rip. If you don't perform up to your expectations today, you still had some fun, and you will be better tomorrow.

marc

9. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    As someone who just turned 50, I am at a point in life where I realize my time on this earth is fading.
    This causes me to question any activity that takes a lot of time and yields little value.
    If I were you, I would find myself a pro trumpet teacher and have a few lessons.
    If I didn't see satisfactory progress I would hang it up.

Life is far to short to spend a lot of time being frustrated and hoping for success that just
    isn't in your path. There is no shame in giving up on playing the trumpet. If I couldn't be
    successful with a few hours practice a week, I'd find some other hobby to fill my free time.

just my 2 cents, take it or leave it,

Greg

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I'll turn 77 this month and my comeback started in 2006 with a few more lapses since due to health and dental issues. Since then my goal has NOT been "success" (whatever that is) but achievement and enjoyment, the latter as another has mentioned. Still, IMO 2 hours of actual "lip time" I don't feel is adequate to achieve any set goal with these brass musical instruments. I'm serious, if one doesn't commit to the time (and expense) to learn, all goals will be elusive.