Can't Get No Satisfaction -Considering Giving Up the Fight

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ThinLips, May 19, 2013.

1. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    It doesn't get any better than this. :-)

Mike

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    [​IMG]

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    QUIT THEN --- let's not forget the other P ----poetry!! --- winners NEVER QUIT, and quitters never win ---- ((((OK, so it doesn't rhyme -let's call this P - PROVERB)))) ---- look Mike, I am on the 5th year as a comeback ----- the 1st year after a 10 year hiatus, JUST SUCKED FOR ME ON THE TRUMPET --- inconsistent, push too hard one day, suck the next day!!!! ---- the 2nd year showed some progress in CONSISTENCY ----- the 3rd year I kicked it down a notch, instead of 3+ hours of practice each day --- it's more like a hour an a half ---- the 4th year showed progess, as I started doubling on the trombone also (((uhm, it only helps with confidence and air -- IMHO-- it presented a challenge to be in parades with a slide trombone -- something I AM NOT comfortable with))) ---- now the 5th year, LOOKS PROMISING that I will ((AM)) a decent trumpet player -------- what more do you need ----- for me it took ---- 3 or 4 -- THOUSAND HOURS!!!! for others it takes less

4. vern

vern Piano User

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Ed Lee wrote: "Persistence, Practice, and Patience". I might humbly add "passion"--if I didn't love the trumpet, I'd have given up long ago. I don't hate my shortcomings, I embrace them as a challenge to overcome. Not week by week (as I did as a high school-er) but many months by many months for some problems and year by year for others.

5. johnande

johnande Pianissimo User

Jun 3, 2009
    western Wyoming
    Quite a number of good comments above. As one of the older (oldest?) comeback players on TM (77+, Ed Lee!) with one of the longest layoffs (51+ years) and 5 years back on the comeback trail, I have probably had (have) many of the same problems most of you younger comback players have. So, Mike, in response to your post which initiated this thread, I would make the following suggestions -- several (many?) of which have been mentioned in previous posts above. 1) Use your most natural, comfortable embouchure (which is probably the one you used earlier when your were "pretty dang good"). Same for your mpc. Don't change it YET! 2) Include in your practice session every day some pieces which you can play well and make them sound as musical as possible. 3) Practice your technical studies seperately from your musical pieces. 4) Do not overdo range exercises -- range will come, you can't force it. 5) Do not expect to improve in any aspect of playing (range, endurance, dexterity, sound quality, etc) as fast as you did when you were younger. 6) I, personally, would hire an instructor as soon as possible after you achieve a reasonable range and endurance. 7) Get with a band but don't expect to start out playing lead. 7) Take most of the advice you receive (including mine) with a grain of salt!!!!! Good luck!!!

6. ThinLips

ThinLips New Friend

Jan 31, 2012
    Mike,

Thanks for your kind words. I'll keep plugging away and I'll keep in mind your suggestions.

Mike

7. Randall Nelson

Randall Nelson Mezzo Piano User

Nov 26, 2011
    WA State
    ...I like all the advice with the P's...easy to remember.

I'm a 40+ year layoff guy (maybe more of a "do-over"?) and found many of the things talked about here in the thread have helped me. One I'd add is the name of a company I used to work for "ITT". We used to say "ITT" means "It Takes Time" when I worked there. I've remembered that a few times with a laugh and find my playing has suddenly improved. Well...maybe it didn't but my mindset did and that made a difference.

Having a few horns from my N+1 interests has seemed to help me out of slumps too. I know if my Ambassador (or Studio or whatever) was not playing as well as I knew it could, I'd go HN White on him until he cleaned up his act. Funny how the next time me and the Ambassador had a session, he had his act together this time.

Your mileage may vary....but there's lot's of ways to keep moving forward. Keep the faith..
    Best,
    Randy

8. TerryR

TerryR Pianissimo User

Jun 3, 2012
    Quakertown PA
    Never give up...

I have noodled around on various musical instruments and (to me) the trumpet has the steepest learning curve that I have encountered (except maybe the violin...stupid bow!!!)

9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    lots of great advise as already been posted.. my 2 cents
    You might try changing up your current routine. I started my comeback with the Stamp warm ups because that is what I use to do. I use to play alot more than I currently do as well. It wasn't working so I changed to the Vizzutti warm ups .. much better results. I am still not the player I was in my younger days but so what. I dig playing.
    It's easy to forget all the playing you use to do during the day at school and probably the intensity isn't as demanding as it use to be. When it's start getting to me about how my chops aren't what I thought they use to be I just shake it off.
    I would find some people to play with and/or playalong cds.

10. ThinLips

ThinLips New Friend

Jan 31, 2012
    Thanks to everyone for your encouragement and superb advice. I'm going to be patient and not worry so much about the score. After all, I have all the time until I don't.