Can't Get No Satisfaction -Considering Giving Up the Fight

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ThinLips, May 19, 2013.

1. BigSwingFace

BigSwingFace Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2013
    Frederick, MD
    I played alongside a gentleman that had given up the trumpet for about 45 years. He told me the best advice ever given to him (by Chuck Findley) was to forget he ever knew how to play the trumpet. It's not like riding a bike. Your brain might remember how to play but your muscle memory is gone. So, with that, think about being your own teacher as opposed to just picking up where you left off. You know what you're doing - it's just a long process to train your muscles to cooperate again. Trumpet playing, for lack of a better term, is a real bitch sometimes. I've never stopped playing and I struggle to improve, too. My humble advice is to do exactly what you're doing: stay patient and keep at it; and when you lose your cool, ask for advice. I joined forums for my trumpet, my guitar, and my car. I find it to be a great way to get perspective and to keep from feeling helpless when I run into a problem.

2. BachStrad1

BachStrad1 Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2012
    Kalamazoo MI
    Great suggestions here, all (well, not really sure about the puppies, but hey, I guess it works for some). The funny thing about memory is that it is selective and we tend to only remember the good things. You're remembering all the fun you had when you were "pretty dang good", but you forgot all the work and frustrations that got you there. Trumpet does have a pretty stiff learning curve, both physically and mentally. You're going to have good days and bad days, and sometimes it seems like the bad days way outnumber the good. You're not going to be able to pick up where you left off and do everything you could when you were young. You have to walk the path again. But that is what life is about. Enjoy the journey. Eventually, the good days will start to come more often and soon, the bad days will be few and far between. It's not a race and there's really no finish line. That's the great thing about music-there's always another challenge. Also keep in mind that while you were pretty good, you may also have been cutting some corners as a youngster and writing some checks back then that your adult self can no longer cash. Do seriously consider getting some lessons. The path has become a little overgrown and you may need some guidance to find it again and not trip over roots or get stuck in the briars. I know a lot of young trumpet players that have some really horrible habits that will not sustain them through maturity. Youth and enthusiasm can only take you so far. Be mindful in your practice habits and give it plenty of time.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    here' MY BEST example to date ---- on a 5 yr comeback now ---- on a 2nd year in a community band ---- last night I Substituted for a community band an hour+ away because they needed a 3rd trumpet player (now the logic of a band, having 5 regular trumpet players, playing Patriotic songs on Memorial Day, that feature the 3rd trumpet parts in melody, and many solo's -- without having a full trumpet section is beyond me)

---- back to my report. This GUEST conductor (Colonel Rotondi) who has conducted the West Point Band, and Pershing's Own band, amongst many others in his military career. Grabbed me after the concert, shook my hand, and said -- "Now that is some fine trumpet playing in the 3rd section" --- to which KT here calmly replied, "yes, Sir, trying to hold our own, it's just the 2 of us" ---- and the Colonel responded, "and that is all you need, the two of you are having Solid, Good Sounding playing, I can hear you, your hit your marks, I love that, the trumpet section rocks, and WE needed the 3rd section, and we got it" ---------------------------------- anyways, Colonel Rotondi, might say that to all the 3rd trumpet sections, maybe not --- but just that me and Rex seemed to impress a Retired Music Professional from the Armed Forces on Memorial Day ----- seems like a pretty great day for ole KT here --------------------------------NONE OF THAT EVER HAPPENS IF I WOULD HAVE QUIT IN THE FIRST YEAR!!!!!------------------------NONE OF IT!!!

ps. I might want to point out Colonel Rotondi's bio ---- he was/is a trumpet player

http://www.usarmyband.com/history/colonel-thomas-rotondi-jr.html

Last edited: May 26, 2013
  4. Masterwannabe

Masterwannabe Mezzo Piano User

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    I think I know the words to this song, heck, I think I wrote the words to this song.

All I can say is you have to first establish why you want to play the trumpet or any instrument for that matter. I would love to be technically as accomplished as I was in high school and for several years after but for some reason I haven't arrived back there yet. I do believe that I am a better musician though because time has taught me many things thru experience that I can pass on thru my music. The heart and feeling that you put into a song I believe, is far more important than the skill or high notes. The key is do you 'touch' someone especially yourself with your playing. I want to be good and I certainly don't want to embarrass myself or those I am playing with so I practice 1 to 2 hours most days and I must say it makes a difference. I don't have any set goals except as to get better, and I am. BTW, the only thing I have changed since my 'old' days is my mouthpiece, if what I had then was working it should till work today for the most part.

Ray Z
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you don't know where you are going it doesn't matter how you get there.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Just reading this now... Truer words have never been spoken!