Cant get Valves back into horn.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by stever, Sep 10, 2010.

1. oldgit

oldgit Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2010
    Basingstoke, England
    The magic marker idea will work but take your time, it took me 160hours to hand finish a blank telescope lens, constantly checking and measuring so pretty much anything can be done, just remember once you rub it off you cant put it back again.
    Just a thought if its cost you nothing and you like it as a decorative piece, try fixing it and if that does not work you have lost nothing, it will still look the same.
    steve

2. stever

stever New Friend

Sep 7, 2010
    Good point, well stated :-)
    sorry thats not what i meant at all . Im on someone elses computer and its either set to log me out after a few minutes, or im being disconected occasionaly because of the wireless connection, Either way I keep getting disconeected and logged out, thus looseing anything I type.

youre ideas on fixing the valve problems sound great! thank you! :thumbsup:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  3. Moshe Mizrachi

Moshe Mizrachi Pianissimo User

Feb 17, 2010

The same thing has always happened to me here at TM.

I click on the "quote" button to go to the page where I type my response.

Then after I type my response, the TM software tells me that I cannot post the response because I am not logged in.
    And everything I typed is completely lost, so that I must type it all over again.

Apparently I often take too long to think, compose, type my response,
    so the software times me out before I hit the "submit reply" button.

My solution:
    Before I click the "submit reply" button,
    I drag the mouse through everything I have typed (to select that text) and then I do a "copy" onto my computer's memory.
    Then, if the TM software times me out and I have to start all over again,
    I don't have to re-type everything.
    I just do a "paste" into the response box and then I click "submit reply".

4. stever

stever New Friend

Sep 7, 2010
    I type very slowly.
    Being the owner of a message board myself... (unrelated to trumpets)
    I know that there is often a setting for the amount of time it takes before a person is logged out due to inactivity.' ... hint hint :D

... hey, I think I may have just been complicit in the hijacking of my own thread... ROFL oops

5. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    stever
    It seems to me as if you have damaged your horn and want everybody else to fix it unseen for you. You will not even take it to a repairer who has been trained in undoing such damage.

Whenever someone says to me "my teacher said it would only cost $x to fix" I tell them to take the horn back and let their teacher fix it.

Players should play and clean their instruments. Teachers should teach all aspects of playing. Repairers should be left to repair problems with instruments.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Hahahahaha. Should have soaked the horn FIRST. You could try attaching a drill and SLOWLY rotate the valve in the cylinder. This will make the job go faster.

7. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    [​IMG]

8. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    exactly!

Rofl

9. stever

stever New Friend

Sep 7, 2010
    I have asked for help from those who may know more then I do.
    I have explained why I am going about what I am doing, and how I am doing it.
    You can either help, or you can not help, but your post sounds more like an attack on me, based on your personal opinion.
    Ridicule isnt really what I'm looking for, thanks though.
    As for those who understand that I am simply making an effort to fix something thats probably not worth fixing... thank you for your help, it is most appriciated. :D

10. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    He isn't ridiculing you. He is telling you that the easiest and best way to do things is to take it to someone who knows what they are doing. Diagnosing instrument problems over the internet is like diagnosing a skin problem over the phone. You can't accurately get a cost estimate or type of repair without the trained professional SEEING it.
    He is a repair tech and trumpet maker. I would take his advice over just about anyone elses on this site when it comes to repairs.

This is a horrible idea. Please don't do this.