Can't Hit High E

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Ufachotchin, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Ufachotchin

Ufachotchin Pianissimo User

May 19, 2014
    Youngstown, Ohio, USA
    I don't know how you interpreted my post, but I was never implying I'm an exception to any rules. I'm an average guy from an average upbringing who happens to enjoy playing trumpet. All I wanted to say was I listened to your advice and it worked out. And now I have to form a new habit using less pressure. I get that. I'm not as naive as other members of my generation.
    Thank you for your time
    Nick DiGiacomo

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Thank you Nick for being so patient ---- if I may, allow me to say a few words (of my own opinion) about Rowuk. He is actually a fairly knowledgeable trumpet player -- although I do not agree with ALL HIS ADVICE, and I certainly don't always like his "tone" that is conveyed in his responses ----- one thing has always been true with Rowuk, he comes to a point in his responses ---- even if at times it is more concise, and perhaps more "rude" than we are used to

I say Nick, just try to understand the guy a bit, and don't get caught up in his often abrupt, and occasionally "rude" mannerisms -- aside from that, you can learn from a great many of us here at TM

have a great day -- and practice, play and be happy!!!

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    My advice didn't work, it can't in one sitting. That has nothing to do with your heritage, IQ, choice of mouthpiece or anything else. You have spent a lot of time getting to where you are right now - to the point that really cool things are opening their doors for you. That is great. You notice that there are limits. I just explained where the problem most likely is.

I know of no mechanism that can positively turn around playing in one day. If E is your limit, you are 2 months away from "reliably more" if you have a really good teacher paying attention. DIY probably means a crash somewhere in between. One day of "hitting" something is insignificant in my book.

My response was more to question your supposed miracle (reality distortion). If in 4 weeks you have a usable F and a wimpy F#, G, an even wimpier Ab and A - EVERY DAY, THEN you took my advice and it worked. Then your chops are not clamping off the upper register. I am not sure that a half tone per month is realistic. That would be a double C in 8 months. I don't think so.

4. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I was clamped at C above the staff for many years since I thought that it was called "top C" because it was a limit. 20 years. I also used a lot of pressure against my lips when playing towards the top of my range (anything above the staff). I underwent an epiphany of sorts when I read some teaching material which advocated playing with as low face pressure as necessary for the upper notes. Within a short time (few months) I was a happy D player, and about a year later felt happy when I saw an E. F above that became comfortable possibly a year after that. I play every day (except a few times I was sick, or had some other interruption such as a work deadline). G is my current hit and miss note except when I am fresh on a particular combination of my mouthpiece and horns, but I am confident I'll be okay with that by Christmas our so. I don't think I'm unusual in my progression, and though I'm sure some people can develop faster than I do, I would be surprised if anybody was expecting to improve range dramatically in months rather than years.

Good luck with your playing, enjoy it,
    Best,
    --bumblebee