Can't play after taking a break

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpeter3197, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Trumpeter3197

Trumpeter3197 New Friend

Jun 30, 2012
    I've been playing trumpet for 7 years now (I'm a sophomore in high school, so it's really only been 3 years of actual practice and work), and although I am gaining chop strength in many ways, there's always one thing that has been a problem for me: taking breaks. Even if I only play for a few minutes, if I take a 15+ minute break my chops are NEVER where they were when I began. This happens during gigs (I'll be playing well the first set, then there's a break, and I can't play at all the second set, even if I warm up again), and, most inconveniently, at auditions (I warm up for 10 or so minutes, then wait half an hour to be called into the audition room and can't play, even if I warm up again).

Is this normal? I've seen some older people have no problem with this (only slightly older, by 2-3 years), it seems to be only me. If so, how can I fix this? Is it related to endurance in any way?

2. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I have to same problem. I think it's because of the corners on the mouth. When you first start the corners are pushing in. (if moving at all) After a rest the corners go out or you smile to get higher. Try paying attention to that after the break when you re-warm up.

3. Trumpeter3197

Trumpeter3197 New Friend

Jun 30, 2012
    Yes, I do have a smile embouchure (not by choice, it's natural for me). It doesn't seem to be hindering my range development. But if that's the reason I can't take breaks, does that just mean I'm screwed? I literally tried, with a teacher, so hard to fix it that I'm now completely convinced it's impossible for me personally to change.

4. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I don't think there is a set rule. When I changed from the smile to the pucker, I had great results. That being said, there are a lot of good players using the smile.

One time I brought a bunch of smaller mouthpieces with me to play on after the break. I thought I would find one that fit and just use that. It didn't work.