Can't Play High Notes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by dfusselman, Dec 2, 2008.

1. dfusselman

dfusselman New Friend

Dec 2, 2008
    I made a YouTube video to propose a theory as to why some people have so much trouble with high notes. I propose that if you have a large widow's peak on your upper lip you CAN'T physically play high notes. That type of lip structure makes it impossible.

YouTube - High Note Hypothesis

Later,

david

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I know quite a few fantastic lead players with sharp widow's peaks.

What about Lin Biviano of the Buddy Rich Band, who talks about creating an M shape with your upper lip to facilitate upper register playing?

3. dfusselman

dfusselman New Friend

Dec 2, 2008
    This was the best photo I could find of Lin Biviano.

http://www.vitalinformation.com/steve/images/bb002.jpg

He looks flat as a pancake there, but it's too far away.

If he was the player I heard on an very old quadraphonic recording of Buddy Rich, he is truly amazing. For clarity and precision, it's hard to beat A. Sandoval, though :-)

df

4. miles71

miles71 Mezzo Piano User

Nov 8, 2004
    Maryland
    I want to clarify, your are saying that is you have a point of "face" on your top lip it is impossible to have a serious range, correct? So an "M" shaped top lip where the face meets the inner lip is bad.

Instead a flat, even top lip is able to play the higher pitches?

TD

5. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    I totaly and respectfully disagree. I know a cat with HUGE lips who can scream. I know a young girl with incredibly thin lips who has a solid A. I know people with widows peaks who can and others who can't... I don't really think that certain feature has anything to do with range.

6. edcon1981

edcon1981 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    i believe i have the widow's peak you speak of, and have no problem in the upper register. (before now i always thought a widow's peak was a type of hairline...)

7. dfusselman

dfusselman New Friend

Dec 2, 2008
    Most people have a slight M shape to their upper lip. I'm saying that a very sharp middle part that looks like this: ^ (upside down) will be a problem. If it's, say 1 inch wide, that's not what I'm taking about. It needs to be very definite and hang down at least 3/16th inch from flat, and be about 5/8 inch or narrower. Imagine gluing three pencil tip erasers in a triangular pattern to your upper lip and you get the idea.

Also, the size of lips don't matter.

If anyone thinks they have what I am talking about and want to send me a picture, here's my email: [email protected]

8. edcon1981

edcon1981 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    there's a few pictures of my face in my photo album here on tm, feel free to take a look and lemme know.

9. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Interesting theory. How many people (lips) have you researched?

Is it possible that this is just why you can't play high notes from a centered embochure?

10. dfusselman

dfusselman New Friend

Dec 2, 2008
    Ed Con, yeah, you're pretty flat--even flatter than someone like Don Ellis--who had a large, but gradual depression on his upper lip. Also, PLEASE note. THIS IS JUST A HYPOTHESIS!!!!! Don't anyone think that this has been proven...yet.

Also, this kind of lip structure is rare. I only know of one other person people that has it, Andy Rooney from "60 Minutes". It's not something that people notice right off. Also, pay NO ATTENTION to where the face tissue meets the upper lip (at the filtrum)

Here's a not-so-flattering photo of Andy: ADSCF0222