Can't Play High Notes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by dfusselman, Dec 2, 2008.

1. mellowmood_in_ventura

mellowmood_in_ventura New Friend

Dec 4, 2008
    I'll go with the advise that an online friend of mine has given me, and that is to practice range-development with only the mouthpiece. From there, you can then attach it to your horn, and wail-away purposefully, but for me, I am not going to broadcast my worst stuff...call it vanity, or just the fact that I can play around here without complaints, or riling the dogs. After all, when one can succeed on the 'poochometer' as I do, and I don't have people sending the police to quell my passion, I do my best to always sound decent.
    Even when I'm working with clearly weird effects, I seems to do well.
    Just ask the neighborhood dogs about me, 'cuz the never complain!:laughwave:

2. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    Geez, all this talk of higher.......isn't that what piccolo trumpets are for? Played one of those sweet loving creatures for the first time in my 52 years of life........there are some truly sick people out in this world. Luckily the case was close by and nobody was hurt :oops:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  3. thebugleboy

thebugleboy Pianissimo User

Dec 10, 2008
    Deep South
    Your choice, but you can still put just as much pressure with only a mouthpiece. How good do you want to be? It's not for everybody.

4. Tammerman175

Tammerman175 New Friend

Oct 19, 2007
  5. JonathanShaw

JonathanShaw Pianissimo User

Jun 29, 2006
    bigger mouthpiece to give room for your lips...... maybe

Paps also has a cig in his hand in that picture-maybe that's the secret to trumpet playing!