Can't put valve back in after oiling

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hhsTrumpet, Jul 18, 2014.

1. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    I simply cannot put my 3rd valve back in after oiling. There is no crud in the casing, no visible damage, and I did everything I can think of, including washing the valve and its casing. It simply doesn't fit! What happened and what should I do?

2. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Hmm tricky one,

Have you got the rught valve in the right hole, occasionaly on older trumpets that have worn in they won't go in if you get them wrong. Any chance the valve casing has suffered a knock and is now out of true?

It isn't a daft thing like your valve guide being out of place and fouling as it goes in is it? Is it not going in at all or is it going part of the way in and sticking?

3. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    Yes.
    No.
    No.
    It varies every time I try but it goes in part way and gets stuck. Even when I'm able to get it in all the way, I can't press the valve.

4. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Where's your valve spring - encased in the middle of the valve, or underslung?

5. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    encased

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Have you tried putting another valve in the casing to see if it gets stuck at the same place? I am wondering if one of slide ports is damaged.

7. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Hopefully somebody will post who knows more than me, but while you wait try pouring some warm water into your valve casing to warm it up while your valve is steeping in a cup of very cold water. While valve casing is still warm and valve is still cold try inserting it carefully. Oil it afterwards, if it goes in, then work it carefully.

And try what Dave wrote.

--bumblebee

8. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    and perhaps do a few pics of the valve - inside and out.

9. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    I can think of several possibilities, none of which can be addressed without appropriate equipment and training. Rather than worsening the problem, take it to a tech.

10. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    Yes. Without seeing the horn in person there is little chance of an accurate diagnosis. Any force, twisting etc. will just hurt it more.

As a side note, there is no reason to fully remove a valve when oiling. Pull straight up 3/4 of the way, apply oil and put straight back in. No full removal, no rotation. The meathod of oiling removes most variables for damage (dropping, banging, adding dirt and rotation) and it still fully applies oil to the surface.