Can't stop slurring!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by the newbie, Apr 12, 2012.

1. the newbie

the newbie Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    When i play i slur. Almost all of the time. It just feels more natural flowing out of me and easier. If i'm learning a new song i will always slur through it at first. Im still a novice but will this be seriously detrimental to my development later on?

(I don't play in a band or have I ever had a teacher)

2. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Not necessarily. For example, there are some exercises in the front of Arban, they're actually more difficult to play slurring.

But you should really practice all articulations regardless of your favorites.

Tom

3. the newbie

the newbie Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    Funny! Its going through the first arbans excercises right now, that i am doing! Slurring helps me play it so much that i can start to get the melody, then learn it. I dont have anyone to play it for me to hear it first. Thanks.

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Are you slurring your notes or are you slurring your words? Because, you know, that could be a whole other issue ...

Turtle

5. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    Articulation is vitally important in ensemble playing. If you aspire to play in groups you'll need to learn to articulate. I wish all brass players were required, at some point, to sing in a mixed choir. There's so much musicality to learn, in such a naked setting -- where there's no piece of plumbing between you and the music.

You could learn all the musicality stuff in a men's choir, or barbershop quartet, quite frankly, but I specified a mixed choir because they're good opportunities to meet women.

But I digress. Choral singers are exhorted to over-emphasize pronunciation, because when a mob is all trying to say the same thing at once the words get muddy. If you watch a good choir you'll see some comical facial expressions, as the singers do this emphatic pronunciation.

The same thing applies to trumpet players in a section, except that there are usually no women within flirting range.

But I digress again. When you play in a section, you need to over-emphasize everything.

At this point I'm sure lots of people are rolling their eyes. Yes, it's possible to overdo articulation. I'm sure many of us have dealt with a player with a sledge-hammer tongue -- one who couldn't do legato if their life depended on it. But if your instinct is to slur everything, you need to learn to articulate most things.

There should be plenty of amateur groups to play with in San Francisco -- join one, and you'll start gaining experience.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Articulation is the basis of all communication. By only slurring, you seem to accept a much lower ability to get the musical point across. Synchronizing your playing with articulation is the first step to a new world understandable by others.

7. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Composers put in all kinds of articulation for a reason, and if you slur all of it you sound like you aren't playing very well. It's best to become proficient at all the tonguing necessary to become an accomplished Trumpet player and really interpret the music as it was intended.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Succinctly (staccato :D), YES!!

9. Doug1951

Doug1951 New Friend

Dec 23, 2011
    North Carolina
    Tongue articulation is an acquired skill that comes as a result of practice..
    If practicing your trumpet isnt developing that skill as fast as you want, you
    may look to nature for a little help.......
    The frog for instance...has incredible tongue movement acquired by flicking
    flys and bugs and stuff.....
    I would imagine to mimick a frogs tongue flicking might get a fat lazy tongue moving.....
    You'd just have to be careful not to acquire a taste for insects along with tongue articulation skills..
    I can only imagine how well a frog could play a trumpet if he had some
    big soft lips to go with that tongue of his.....
    Good luck on getting that tongue moving!!!

10. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Seems you're acknowledgeing that articulation does not come easy to you. All the more reason to do extra work on it. Articulation is part of the music, can't make any without it. Music is a language, a very unique and complex one. It requires to articulate sounds, no way around that.